• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

I'm unable to update the definitions, I get "unable to find a valid repository". I tried searching for this problem and tried fixing it but just can't.

Should I fix it and keep this anti-virus software or just get different anti-virus software? If so what should I get? Thanks.

I don't use McAfee and don't know this problam. All I can say is one, make sure no firewall or anything is blocking it from updating. Also until you get it fixed, I would try something like. AVG, or AntiVir

well is AVG really good? since AVG is freeware I would believe there is better out there?

Not really, I have used Norton, McAfee, Panda, F-Prot, and quit a few others. All around yes AVG is the best. Panda I also really like but is not free and the new version seems kind of bloated. If you don't trust AVG you could try something like Kerpasky. As for detection goes though AVG has yet to fail me when others have.

Edit:Do a search on these forums for AVG, and read some post. That should help you decide if you want it.

right click on the shield in your task bar, choose virus scan console.

then choose "task" at the top of the window, and create a new update task. Save it and see if it will run. If it does, then delete the old task.

If you want to see your repository list for the problematic update task, high light it in the task list window and then choose "tools" then choose "edit auto update repository list"

NAIHttp

should point to

update.nai.com/products/commonupdater

ftp

ftp.nai.com/CommonUpdater

For temporary protection you could go to www.nai.com and download the super dat file which you can run on your computer. It will update everything (engine and dats) to the most recent version while you work on the other problem. Anyway, i think if you create a new update task it should fix it right up.

I tried the new update and unchecked 3 things, and had just the NAIHttp and ftp, but it didn't work.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get AVG and remove mcafee.

Back