• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset waterblock = more OC poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Did adding a chipset block to your water cooling allow you to increase your OC?

• Yes

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

eobard

Give me a break Senior
As per wannaoc's request, this poll is to see if adding a chipset block to your water cooling allowed you to increase your overclock. Please give any specifics such as which block did you use and, if it did work, how much more speed did you get?

yup.....allowed me to go from 4.2ghz to 4.5ghz.....then my psu is a POS, and wouldnt allow more, and the temps around here went up.....so im steady now at 4.2ghz

i built a wc setup for a friend about 5 months ago. it was for an intel 530. we had a waterblock on the VGA,and the CPU. we hit the wall at 3.9 so then we got a chipset waterblock and it didnt help at all.. ohh well

My mobo is capping me at 265fsb. I'm gona try some better air cooling on it first. In my experience you need one heck of an overclock before you need to worry about it. I have not seen a mobo have trouble going over 250fsb.

i really think this could be devided up into smaller polls honestly.
basically certain boards benifit more than others . for instance NF7 S 2.0 really gets a good kick from NB cooling

thorilan said:
i really think this could be devided up into smaller polls honestly.
basically certain boards benifit more than others . for instance NF7 S 2.0 really gets a good kick from NB cooling

I agree to an extent. The NF7 really did like a nb waterblock. But things like the P4C800, didn't really need extra cooling, even around 280fsb you'd be ok.

Saying that, I don't know how the newer motherboards take to better cooling.

I have my [email protected] on my Max3 mobo and I even removed the HSF from my northbridge and replaced it with a Zalman passive block. I do have great case airflow though.

i agree that in some cases adding a NB block does help but you have to ask yourself if the extra parts(which means its more likley that something could leak) is worth the slight bit you may gain.

I put yes but I rather say no. The only time watercooling of chipest help me was when I was playing with Mach 2, by putting waterblock I increased fsb by 5 for 24hour prime on 3.0 Norhtwood at 4300mhz. Might have been just luck. In anyother situation I would say waterblock on chipest doesn't help.

If you are wc your nb and not getting anything extra out of it try a volt mod(i wouldn't go much farther than 1.8 maybe 2.0 max)

Back