• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I buy the pa160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

I'm currently setting up watercooling for my new system:

2x xeons @ 3.2 (at least)
2gb bh5
x850xt

I'm going to be using
2x 6002-px
Custom VRM block
maze-4 chipset block
MCW50
MCP655
BIP2

I'm tuning the system to silence then performance. Now I know the BIP2 should be able to handle everthing at stock but not at optimum temperatures. The videocard has a volt mod to 1.8v and I know I'm going to be dumping a lot of heat into the loop.

I know eventually I want the PA160 and it'll fit perfectly in to the loop when I get it however I am not sure whether I should get it now before the loop is set up or later, after I can see what the loop is capible of handeling. The only reason I don't do it now is because I've spend a good bit of money recently and being 18, a hundred bucks every week... well...

opinions!

for that, i would suggest a BIP III even - since you're gonna be using low-flow fans, you need the most surface area possible, especially when you're cooling two xeons plus an x850

or at the least, get a BIP II, temps wont be as good, but its gonna give you alot more performance than the PA160 would

edit: you also might want to take a look at some other GPU water blocks - the swiftech MCW50 is a 1/2" OD (3/8" ID) quick connect block, which will end up being slightly more restrictive - i'd personally opt for a acetal-topped DD maze 4 (very little restriction, comes with 1/2" barbs for 1/2" ID tubing

I got the block for free so I'm not going to complain ;). I can't use the bip3 as the case doesn't permit and I'm trying to keep everything in-case. I forgot that part. I also forgot I'm using 7/16id tubing.

What I ment about the radiator is that I have the bip2 now. It's already set up in the case and I'm not getting rid of it. Should I just run the system now, with the bip2 and wait to get the pa160 or splurge and get it now since the system isn't "complete".

yeah, i'd just go with the BIP II and save cash - it'll give you better overall performance than the PA160

Grab anouther BIP and get anouther pump. Normally I am against two pumps but looks like you got 5 blocks there correct, plus 2x rads? I think that warrants anouther pump...

What fans are you using with the PA160?.

Sneaky, would the extra performance of both radiatiors in one loop outweigh the costs?

LS7, All of the blocks are very low restriction and work well even with low flow so I'm not worried about it. Plus, another pump creates another source of noise where adding the radiator wouldn't. Also, my case is already extremely cramped and I don't have room for another pump, 'cept a 350 - modded of course. But I'm complaining about $100 right now, what'll another 80 do? :rolleyes:

This should clear things up: I talked with my good pal sewerbeing.

(19:15:58) SewerBeing: hi
(19:16:02) Old Blue Scott: Hey, man.
(19:16:03) Old Blue Scott: What's up?
(19:16:11) SewerBeing: just reading your thread
(19:16:46) SewerBeing: and one BIP2 should handle that with decent temps
(19:16:53) SewerBeing: it will do better than the PA160
(19:17:17) Old Blue Scott: Yeah, I'm not worried that the BIP wouldn't handle it. I know it will. I just want to push the hell out of these chips, and x850xt.
(19:17:29) Old Blue Scott: The card does almost 700mhz on core with just water...
(19:17:41) SewerBeing: hmm that would get close
(19:18:05) Old Blue Scott: But also, that's volt modded. Plus the mosfets on this board get hotter than the cpus, around 80c with the stock, non-active heatsink.
(19:18:15) SewerBeing: get a fan over that
(19:18:16) Old Blue Scott: It would be more for reassurance purposes, and to let me clock the hell out of things.. heh
(19:18:20) Old Blue Scott: I have a waterblock for it.
(19:18:45) SewerBeing: so one BIP2 is what you are going for or a 2x BIP2?
(19:19:12) Old Blue Scott: one bip2 is what I have now. I was thinking of adding the pa160 to the loop.
(19:19:36) Old Blue Scott: my chicken is done, let me get it and I'll try and explain things better.
(19:19:42) SewerBeing: ok
(19:21:12) Old Blue Scott: my case: http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-112-212-07.JPG
(19:21:23) SewerBeing: ok
(19:21:32) Old Blue Scott: The BIP2 its up top with the barbs near the powersupply. It fits the whole top.
(19:21:36) SewerBeing: ok
(19:21:55) Old Blue Scott: The pump is just to the left of the hard drive enclosure, intake facing us and output facing the top of the case.
(19:21:56) SewerBeing: and you get good airflow through it aka its not up against any walls?
(19:22:07) SewerBeing: ok
(19:22:17) Old Blue Scott: definitely, it sits on my desk next to me.
(19:22:27) SewerBeing: no I mean in the case?
(19:22:36) Old Blue Scott: I have a soundcard so my placement for the pump is limited.
(19:22:49) Old Blue Scott: Yeah, airflow in the case is superb.
(19:23:03) Old Blue Scott: You'll see when I get access to a camera. Think 0 visible wires.
(19:23:05) Old Blue Scott: aka none
(19:23:06) SewerBeing: ok excellent
(19:23:38) Old Blue Scott: I have room in a 5.25 where I can put the hard drive. The air from the fans would keep it cool up there (blowing in). If I do that, I have the room up front to mount the pa160 if I get it.
(19:23:50) Old Blue Scott: I still wouldn't have room for another pump but I would have room for the radiator.
(19:24:06) SewerBeing: ok
(19:24:17) Old Blue Scott: So, my space is very limited so I either keep the bip2 or add the pa160. I'm not sure which way to go.
(19:24:47) Old Blue Scott: Eventually I'm going to get it but I don't know if I'd rather get it now since there's no fluid in my loop and I'm still modding the case or if I should save my money for now.
(19:25:30) SewerBeing: so its BIPII or PA160 or are you saying BIPII + PA160 (aka 2 rads in the same loop)
(19:25:52) Old Blue Scott: both
(19:26:04) Old Blue Scott: Right now, it's bip2 only but if I get the pa160, I'd add it to the loop.
(19:26:05) SewerBeing: ok
(19:26:11) Old Blue Scott: not replace the bip2
(19:26:33) SewerBeing: ok
(19:26:42) SewerBeing: any chance you an fit 2 BIPII's?
(19:26:47) Old Blue Scott: nope
(19:26:57) Old Blue Scott: not unless I sandwich rad>fan>rad>fan up top.
(19:27:15) SewerBeing: not the most sound thing to do theory wise
(19:27:19) Old Blue Scott: right
(19:27:39) Old Blue Scott: lower overall airflow and pressure = performance < single radiator
(19:27:51) Old Blue Scott: + more noise
(19:28:03) SewerBeing: personally and I know you are good at watercooling so let me suggest this, put the loop together with just a BIPII, if you hate your temps get the PA160 if you like your temps stick with it
(19:28:25) Old Blue Scott: That's exactly what I was thinking but I wanted some more opinions.
(19:28:40) Old Blue Scott: I guess I didn't explain it all well enough and if you don't mind I'm going to use this transcript in the post.
(19:29:00) SewerBeing: ok

pwnt by pat said:
Sneaky, would the extra performance of both radiatiors in one loop outweigh the costs?

LS7, All of the blocks are very low restriction and work well even with low flow so I'm not worried about it. Plus, another pump creates another source of noise where adding the radiator wouldn't. Also, my case is already extremely cramped and I don't have room for another pump, 'cept a 350 - modded of course. But I'm complaining about $100 right now, what'll another 80 do? :rolleyes:

ohhhhhhhh i thought it was gonna be one or another... not both of them in the same loop... i'd go for it then :thup:

just make sure your pump is strong enough

i know its single pass... but the extra tubing for a dual rad system, plus five water blocks can take a serious toll on the flow

Well, I busted out the tape measurer to make sure one last time it would fit and it won't. I did the measurements wrong. I could turn it 90 degrees but the barb is on the wrong corner of the radiatior... dang. The only way to fit it is to buy another pump. I think I'm just going to get another pump and a bip for $25 more, then I can get the pa160 for x-mas or something.

thoughts?

Meh, I'm going to say F it and get the 160. I can fit it, it won't be pretty, but I can do it. Should I spring for the second pump while I'm at it? Knock all possible upgrades out at one time?

pwnt by pat said:
I splurged and bought both.

edit: with 2 day shipping so hopefully monday they will be here.
i bought a pa 160 a few days ago, should be here on monday i will report back....i also have a bix2 to compare...

What 8"? Koda 8? Or the Extremis 7"?

Doing both rads should help nicely if you're going to be clocking both the Xeons. Looking forward to pics and results.

Back