• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set this up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

alright, some of you may already know of my case, and surprisingly enough it is too crowded! :D

i am dumping the Aspire PSU as i feel that is holding me back from 4.3ghz (bios, not clockgen) so i got myself a Enermax Noisetaker 485W PSU (non-sli one)

i also got rid of my 6800GT with the ghetto (well, ghetto w/o duct tape) Maze 4, and got a Hercules 9800Pro along with the Enermax and cash

i picked up the following to add to my already nice wc'ing
Swiftech MCP-600 pump (making me have 2 now)
a 77 bonny HC (so i have a generic and a bonny)
2x Delta AFB1212VHE's (150+CFM)
Meanwhile PSU+272W pelt (not sure if i am goin to use or sell)

so here is my question, what order should i put these in?
Setup #1:
#1 pump > #1 rad > RBX > #2 pump > #2 rad > Z-Chipset > res
or
Setup #2:
#1 pump > #1 rad > #2 rad > resivoir > #2 pump > RBX > Z-Chipset

or should i just scrap the Z-Chipset block as it has really not helped out alot (did a little before, but had AC vent beside computer....so)

this is all going into another box that i will make, sadly not another shelf...:( but it will resemble the case, and be right underneath it too :D

According to most of the posts I have seen the order wont have all that great an effect....BUT if you consider the effectiveness of the radiator to shed heat via air cooling depends somewhat on the delta between the temp of the fluid passing through the radiator and the temp of the ambient air which is being forced through the fins of the radiator I would be tempted to use setup #1.

I am not sure if its of benefit to have the radiators before or after the blocks however....that one still has me confused. The pump will heat the water as will the blocks. *shrug*

so i have decided to get rid of the Z-Chipset, and not go to pelts :(, but nonetheless... this is how its gonna be

#1 pump > #1 rad > RBX > res > #2 pump > #2 rad

any critiques? and @ bugsmasher...... (blink blink) i have no clue as to waht half you said, but the other half was handy :D

nm ill just give oyu some hints and answer the parts that bug says he dont understand

you want to cool your most important part the most correct?
that would be the CPU
so since the CPU is the most important part to cool it should recieve the coolest fluid correct?
well when is the fluid in the cooling loop the coldest? that would be right after the radiator correct?

well why is that so important. bug already said it. to maximize your your DeltaT or dT for short in this post

well what is the delta t you may ask. let me illistrate

say you have a hot frying pan of a stove and your job is to cool it as cool as you can get it .

so you want to pour water on it right?
well do you think pouring hot water on it will cool it as much as pouring ice water? of coarse not .
so you use the coldest water passsible which is ice water.
basically this describes a range.
say the pan is VERY hot and the ice water is very cold so the difference between the 2 is very high ( literally more than 100c ) this is what you call maximizing your dT . you make the seperation between the hot and cold as wide as possible.

this is also why so many noobies get yelled at for preaching " water going slowly picks up more heat"

why is that statement false?
simple
when i pour my ice water onto the hot pan it will quickly become hot water right? so the dT i described earlyer is not so wide any more correct?
so what do you do?
simple
you pour more ice water in because it cools better than boiling water doesnt it?

this also leads to the answer about floe and KEEPING your dT AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE

basicaly the faster your pour the ice water onto the pan the cooler it will stay because ice is very cold and pan is very hot correct?

thats why people many times use the phrase flow>all

if the water just sits there it heats up and eventualy will not cool the pan at all.

now how this applies to cooling computers

you want your water block on your CPU to recieve the coldest possible water . that means putting it right after the rad because if you put anything in between it like say a NB or VGA block you are adding heat to the cool water before it hits your most important part so you are lowering your dT or reducing the distance between the 2 ( cpu temp and coollant temp)

so here is the kicker

your radiator works the exact same way your water block works only in reverse

so you want the hottest possible coolant from the system to hit the radiator last where the radiator is coolest. BING there is the secret or rather the basics of water cooling for building a system based on good solid principles and understanding

Back