• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth going pci-e?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wat are the system specs? depening on what you have it can go either way. Ifyou look in my sig ima stay w/ agp im going to buy a 6800gt and that will be more then enough power untill i need to upgrade again as im planning to in a year and a half or so.

demighost said:
wat are the system specs? depening on what you have it can go either way. Ifyou look in my sig ima stay w/ agp im going to buy a 6800gt and that will be more then enough power untill i need to upgrade again as im planning to in a year and a half or so.

what kind of fps are you getting do you play HL2 or BF2? and at what settings

My system specs are

amd64 socket 939 3000+

Asus a8v deluxe

Asus a9550GE overclocked to 460/230

1gb Kingston value ram

from most of the benchmarks ive seen between a 6600GT pci-e vs AGP the pci-e as better scores but its like between 1 or 2 points where its not worth a big deal, i would assume its the same way for a 6800 also.. look for benchmarks online im sure ull find something

If you have agp mobo probably is not worth going pci e. Similar card from ati and nividia performs about the same in pci e and agp. So if you even go from 6600gt agp to 6600gt pci that card will perform about the same.

There are few advantages for pci e right now, one is SLI, the other is that agp is being phase out, upcoming high end gfx cards might be not offered in agp.

I think it's worth it in the long run but the best bang for the buck might be AGP for now rather than updating the mobo/processor/memory & PCIe card.

If you are going to upgrade your mobo then go with the newer technology.

I may be able to sell my motherboard to a friend. Does anyone know of any computer part classfieds?

If you go pci-e you won't be happy with a 6600gt, it's not giong to be much faster than what you already have. The 6800gt will give you much better performance than a 6600gt pci-e.

I'm not going to switch from AGP until I'm ready to go to socket 939/sata/and PCI-E at the same time.

Originally Posted by tLove
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfx
At 100 posts you can access the classifieds on this forum.

ahhhh.... no wonder I could never see them.

lol, I had that exact same problem, it confunded(too much HP) me for a long time. It bugged me alot and i didnt even try to figure out why. :bang head
Oh well, it doesnt take that long to get 100 posts anyway.

Back