• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTT limiting my overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

Hello everyone,

Recently I had an issue where I was stumped due to poor verbiage, but figured it out with the help of others. Now that I've proceeded past that point, I'm running into another problem. My memory and CPU have quite a bit of overclock left in them, but I'm hitting a wall with my HTT.

My multiplier is set to x9 with an HTT frequency of 255MHz and a memory divider of 3:2 (whichever that is, it's the one between 166MHz and 133MHz), which sets my memory to run at 208MHz. My HTT runs at ~2080MHz (255MHz * 4 (800MHz setting) * 2) stable, but if I bump up my HTT freq to 260MHz, it craps out on me (gaming instability, etc). If I set my HTT multiplier to x3 (i.e. the 600MHz setting) I can bump my CPU and memory higher, but my HTT ends up below 1600MHz (260MHz * 3 (600MHz setting) * 2) instead of the rated 2000MHz.

Is my overclock limited by the HTT or should I not worry about the final HTT number? I've heard that the actual HTT value does not mean as much compared to the CPU and memory clocks, but I wanted to be certain. If I push my CPU and memory higher, the HTT will definitely suffer as a result.

Any comments/suggestions?

HTT doesn't affect much in performance as long as you're not using 1xHTT. From what I've observed in A64, it's raw cpu power that will boost overall performance.

Ryn said:
HTT doesn't affect much in performance as long as you're not using 1xHTT. From what I've observed in A64, it's raw cpu power that will boost overall performance.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Anyone else?

I found a good thread that has to do with HTT and performance here.

Anyone else have any experience in the performance consequences of lowering/raising overall HTT speed (actual HTT and not the "FSB"-like frequency)?

Back