• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X and 2600+ Mobile issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DTSJR

Registered
I just got a 2600+ mobile to play with, and I replaced my 2400+ with it. The mobo is an Asus A7V8X with the latest BIOS, the CPU is a 2600+ Mobile, and the memory is 2x 256MB PC3200 Corsair XMS 2-2-2-6. For cooling, its a Vapochill PE.
The 2400+ ran fine, with no issues in the mobo and I was able to run at 2.4ghz no problems. I put the 2600+ Mobile in, and now Im having issues.
To start with, it will not post at the default speeds. It is VERY picky at what speeds it will boot at. It only seems to like 133MHz FSB. Its favorite speed seems to be 2.4ghz, [email protected]. Sometimes when I restart the computer from the BIOS, it will not post unless I power off the system, and turn it back on. Also, if I restart from windows, it does not post. Sometimes, randomly, it will just shut off. Sometimes I can turn it right back on, other times I have to turn off the power supply, wait a minute, and then turn it back on before the system will turn on. Also, sometimes, even in windows, it will do a long beep, and a while later it will do a long beep again. And sometimes the length of the beep varies. I think a long beep means a problem with how the memory is seated, so I checked it and the memory is fine.
Any thoughts on what the issue might be? I might try some other BIOS revisions incase the BIOS doesnt like mobile chips for some reason.

That does sound like the RAM possibly acting up. I dunno. Unless it's an Athlon 64, I can't see why the processor alone would prevent you from stably getting a higher bus and RAM frequency.

I just tried moving the memory around slots, and it still is doing the same thing.
I had a 2400+ with different memory working in this system, and the 2600+ with this memory working in another system. The 2600+ was running in a Gigabyte mobo with a nforce 2 chipset.
When I was last in the BIOS, I checked to see what that had for a temp, and it was telling me the CPU was at 55.5C. I pulled off the vapochill cooler and double checked to make sure it was making contact with the core, and it was.

After more research on the topic, I found out that Im not the only one having issues running a mobile chip in the a7v8x. I dont know why this board has issues with mobile chips though.
My buddy is giving me an a7n8x, so that should work just fine. Thats got the nforce 2, so its an overall better board...

Back