• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie want's wireless.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exfoliate

When I get my new notebook ( http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=3880 ) I'll naturally want to have a wireless connection. But being a total n00b at networking I really don't know what's good and what isn't. I know I need a router and an adaptor for my 'book but is that it? I'll be using dial-up unfortuantely if that makes a difference. So basically can any of you recommend any specific routers off http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yCodeValue=0&Submit=Property&SubCategory=335?
I've been going off of user reviews pretty much but haven't found anything that everyone loved yet.
I'll also need your help with adaptors. I found two types that people seemed to like but I'll need your opinion. I realize they're not D-link/Netgear/etc. but they looked good to me. Thanks for you're help.

Hah! Show's what I know, good thing I asked. So I have to plug in my phone line everytime I want to connect? Are there no other options?

AdvanS13 said:
you can't use wireless with dial-up.

I have wireless on dial up.....perhaps you should research a little more before you say that it can't be done.

All you need is a slow system that can connect to the net with a 56k modem or use your current system and connect that with an ethernet cable to say a 5 port hub(don't need a switch for this) and plug an AP/router into that and set the computer to share the internet.

You can do it but it will require a bit of equipment (I think). Ok firstly I think you need to set up a smoothwall box from a spare PC with a modem. Then you configure your smoothwall to access the internet using your dial up settings. Then you have to have your green NIC go to a wireless router and set it to a wireless AP. That should give you internet through dialup. Also you will need wireless networking cards.

I don't know if it's worth it, might be if you already have either the router or the spare box for smoothwall but if you don't it's gonna be quite a investment. Getting a cheap box won't be so bad but getting a router and wireless NICS for only dial up speed doesn't sound that attractive to me because the speed is going to be so crummy even if you do get it all setup, probably not worth it IMO unless you have broadband.

Come to think of it, a Linksys WRT54G would work great for you.... actually, its what I'm using now, its a router, but without anything plugged in the WAN port, it acts as a switch and Wireless AP, so no need to purchase 2 items.

Set your main system to share you 56k connection, connect it to the router on one of the lan ports, not the wan port. Disable DHCP on the router and set the system to the ip of 192.168.1.1 and when you get the laptop set it to 192.168.1.2 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1. Its all very easy to do.

And with Windows XP, you can connect and disconnect a 56k modem from a network computer so thats no issue either.

Thanks guys:) So you're saying under wireless my dial-up speed will be even slower? I'm used to dog slow speed but I wouldn't want it any worse.
I have a spare computer but what do you mean by smoothwall?
You I need a wireless card for the PC, a wireless adaptor for the laptop, and a router? I could get a good router and adaptor for my laptop for about $100 which isn't too bad but I would hope it doesn't get anymore than that.

Exfoliate said:
Thanks guys:) So you're saying under wireless my dial-up speed will be even slower? I'm used to dog slow speed but I wouldn't want it any worse.
I have a spare computer but what do you mean by smoothwall?
You I need a wireless card for the PC, a wireless adaptor for the laptop, and a router? I could get a good router and adaptor for my laptop for about $100 which isn't too bad but I would hope it doesn't get anymore than that.

No, it will be the same speed, wireless is far faster than dialup.

You don't need a smoothwall either. I'm assuming you use your current system to connect to the net, so just do as I mentioned in my above post, a $40 router and you should be set. Your laptop should have an adaptor is its new. And maybe a few bucks for a cat5 cable to connect your PC to the router.

AdvanS13 said:
is it even worth it?

Yes, I love being able to take my laptor around the house or outside. And its also a great way to share files between your laptop and desktop systems.

Thanks very much man, great suggestions:) I found a good router from Linksys but is integrated Intel wireless any good? An adaptor is only about $30 so I imagine that would be a better alternative but if not saveing money is fine on me.
By the way I'm selling my PC to get the laptop so I'll be stuck with my family's Mac dualG4 for a desktop until I get another PC (probably some cheap sempron and a Lego mod). I hope that won't be a problem.

Nice, one more thing, what's the difference between an access point and a router? Is an access point like an extender or could I just get an access point and use it to connect to my computer and Laptop?

I'm not a Mac savvy person, so I don't know how you go about setting up ICS(internet connection sharing) on one, but surely it must be possible. If not you could pick up and old P2/P3 system for $50-75 and could serve as a gateway no problem.

An access point is simply that, it allows you to turn a wired network into a wireless one, nothing more. A router is a much more intelegent device, can be wired or wireless or both. It can assign IP address' via DHCP and can act as a firewall and share the internet directly by being connected directly to a broadband modem. Most routers also serve as a switch/hub, which is what you would need to by if you used an AP(I don't think you can connect an AP directly via a crossover cable to a computer.

Get yourself a wireless router and you'll be pretty much set.

My laptop uses a mini-pci Intel chipset wireless card and it works great, i have had zero issues with it. I see no need for buying another card unless you wanted a card that offered an external antenna.

Either of those should work but I personally prefer the Linksys WRT54G as you can flash the firmware to a 3rd party firmware with many more options, including the ability to increase the power output of the antenna's so you get a stronger signal and can go a little further. There's loads of different firmwares out there available for them that do many different things, so I think this gives Linksys a big advantage over many routers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

$49 after rebates.

No, not at all, just don't plug anything into the WAN port and it acts like switch and AP in one. And the proof that it works is that its exactly what I have :p

Back