• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast with less Slow with More

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I have been pondering this lately because I dont have the cash or time to do a study about it. Here is the thing,I read these forums quite thoroughly and see that most everyone runs between 1 and 2 gigs of ram. Would running more than 2 gigs of RAM on a slower comp improve things the way 1-2 gigs does with a faster system?

Say a 1.5 to 2.53 Ghz processor non-O/C'd with 2-4gigs of ram equal a system thats O/C'd running 1gig? This is strictly for a gaming rig not a video/sound edit machine or maybe it is.

Why Im asking is because the next generation Intel boards will support up to 8 gigs of ram. What would 8 gigs do? Who uses more than 2? and why?

hehe, joecartoon, well, i depends on the memory speed/timings etc etc, and which game, if the game is a ram hog, then i would think it would be faster, if it isnt, then 1 gig of faster ram should be faster, it depends on the situation

I think the answer to your question is yes, it will react slower with more ram because it has to address more or something like that.
Things will run faster if it fits in the ram rather than using the page-file.
Correct me if this is wrong.

Back