• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundstorm or Audigy 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maspowerz

I have an Audigy 1 that i bought when they came and i was wondering if i would save a few clock cycles if i installed it instead of using my onboard audio.

I have an Abit NF7-s v2 with an Athlon [email protected]
x800xl also

I concur..

SoundStorm was much better than almost any other add-in soundcard on the market when it came out. It still is an excellent choice, especially when coupled with an external reciever that supports DD.

I read about the "upgrade" for the audigy before but i don't think i have enough know how to do it right. Even with the detailed walkthroughs. The main reason i was asking this is because i recently had to buy a new Video card since the heatsink fell off my 9800pro and it fried. I bought a x800xl and it really puts my old one to shame. Only thing is, madden 2005 run worse. especially if i have tray tools installed. So i asked this question about the audigy to see if a sound card would help my mhz lol. Maybe i should start a new thread asking if anyone has had madden 2005/x800xl issues.

Installing the software mod for the Audigy really is simple, its similar to as follows:
1. Put the Audigy in your pc.
2. When your pc starts up, install the YouP PAX drivers. Reboot.
3. Once rebooted, install the Audigy 4 software by inserting it into an imaging program (Virtual CD, Nero Image drive)
4. The last part is option, but it gives full functionality. You need to replace 2 .exe's in the software's folder.

I did the software mod on the Audigy and it was not difficult, but I really don't think it made much if any difference. I always use sound cards over onboard sound with the exception of my soundstorm on my nf2 board. Onboard sound has never been so good before or since.
FYI-There are rumors that a new soundstorm is in the works for Nvidia's next generation board.

They are on par with one another...Since you already have the audigy, you mind as well use it as your primary apu, but it really doesn't make that much of a dfference.

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i just removed my audigy to try my soundstorm out, since i really never gave it a chance. and i really have to say, im impressed. it doesnt have the bass in media player like my audigy does, but in games, yeah its teh ****zle. plus, when i played san andreas at 240fsb, it would get popping and crackiling sounds, ezcept when i turned the pci latency way up, now i dont. I did notice that it takes cpu cycles for music, about 15-20% give or take, whereas with my audigy it would use maybe 2-4%. but soundstorm has a nicer midrange and treble then the audigy does, but the audigy seems to have more drive, at the price of a bloated sound. im going to try a few more games out, but so far im happy, i actually gained stability, and a nicer sound when in games. soo... i fought for the audigy, but now i give up that fight, and cant wait to see what ss2 is going to be like :)

freeagent said:
sorry to dig up an old thread, but i just removed my audigy to try my soundstorm out, since i really never gave it a chance. and i really have to say, im impressed. it doesnt have the bass in media player like my audigy does, but in games, yeah its teh ****zle. plus, when i played san andreas at 240fsb, it would get popping and crackiling sounds, ezcept when i turned the pci latency way up, now i dont. I did notice that it takes cpu cycles for music, about 15-20% give or take, whereas with my audigy it would use maybe 2-4%. but soundstorm has a nicer midrange and treble then the audigy does, but the audigy seems to have more drive, at the price of a bloated sound. im going to try a few more games out, but so far im happy, i actually gained stability, and a nicer sound when in games. soo... i fought for the audigy, but now i give up that fight, and cant wait to see what ss2 is going to be like :)
If you put a HS on the SB, you will eliminate the cracking and pops associated with running high FSB.

fldrice said:
If you put a HS on the SB, you will eliminate the cracking and pops associated with running high FSB.

Interesting, thanks for the tip! out of curiousity, why would it make those sounds under high fsb, if the pci bus is only running 33mhz?

Back