• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a new amd rig, I need help with some decisions please!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4megaserver

Registered
Ok here is the deal. I am tring to upgrade to a new machine. Ive had my AMD for almost 2 years and Im ready for some new stuff.

What I have now:

AMD 2500+ Barton OCed at 2.21Ghz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe REV2.0
2x512MB PC3200 Kingston Hyper-X
36GB Raptor 10K
AGP 8x ATi X800 Pro (retail ati card)

Here is what ive bought for the new rig so far:

Nvidia BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256MB PCI Express
74GB Raptor 10K

I also have this Dell Optiplex GX280 that is the new Mini tower with the BTX board. I bought a 3.6Ghz 560 Prescott for that and a 2x512MB DDR2 533Mhz kit of the Giel memory. I was thinking of putting my 36Gb raptor in this and selling it on ebay to get money to complete the new rig.

Now heres my problem:

Should I get a AMD 3800+ X2 and the Asus A8N Premium to put with my new stuff. Or should I keep this 3.6Ghz prescott and buy a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE board (any suggestions for another OCable board for the 3.6 would be appreciated!). Keep in mind here that I will be overclocking this on air to the max, I dont want to water cool. I hear the X2 3800 can go all the way to were it registers in windows as a 4800+ X2 on air alone(an $884 processor!)

What you hear about the X2 is accurate, but if you already knew what our answer would be based on our processor biases, why post at all?

Yep, a X2 3800+ paired with a DFI and some good ram can hit and even past the X2 4800+ stock speeds. But even if your at the same clock speed as the X2 4800+, you don't have the same L2 Cache as the X2 4800+.

But anyways, I'd say go for the X2 3800+ paired with a Epox or DFI, grab some good ram and you can hit some nice speeds.

Back