• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Orienting a Thermaltake Silent 775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raschied

I'm looking for the proper way to orient the Thermaltake Silent 775 on the motherboard. I can't see how the heat pipes work when the processor sits vertically, in a tower configuration. :bang head

Anyone else using this thing? When the motherboard is in a tower case, which direction does the bend in the heatpipes face? I'm thinking they need to face downward.

Im not following what you are saying. Do you have a picture to reference? The pipes have nothing to do with the orientation but rather the fans used on the heatsink do

Here's a reference

Thanks for replying. Here's a link with pictures:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0092silent775/cl-p0092silent775.htm

The heat pipes run in a "U" shape from the copper base up into the fins under the fan. My understanding of heat pipes is that they contain a coolant, which boils, then recondenses in a recirculating fashion.

I can see how that'd work if this was lying flat, but I can't understand how it'll work if it's used in a tower configuration. Seems like no matter how I orient it, the heat pipe efficiency will be compromised.

the gas just conducts heat better than just copper so it basically provides more surface area for the fins to "pick up" heat from and then the fins are cooled by the fan.

-1cem4n

Raschied said:
Thanks for replying. Here's a link with pictures:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0092silent775/cl-p0092silent775.htm

The heat pipes run in a "U" shape from the copper base up into the fins under the fan. My understanding of heat pipes is that they contain a coolant, which boils, then recondenses in a recirculating fashion.

I can see how that'd work if this was lying flat, but I can't understand how it'll work if it's used in a tower configuration. Seems like no matter how I orient it, the heat pipe efficiency will be compromised.
True but the tubes are vaccume sealed. You would be suprised, while it does have an impact its not as much as you fear it is.

^^^I don't really understand that, but I think thats wrong, but I might be reading it wrong
Edit: This was to icemans post

To answer your question, not it does not compromise it. Almost all heatpipes are in tower situations. It works, I can't explain the specifics, but don't worry about it working.

I'm pretty sure that they put the heatpipes there so that the heat will go to the top and the bottom of the heatsink so that the fins pick up more heat.

-1cem4n

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I was overthinking it. This is my first new system in almost 5 years, and cooling wasn't an issue with my 1GHz Athlon...:eek: Thanks for making a newbie welcome! :)

If you can return it, I would. Pay the extra $10 or so, and get a better cooler like the Big Typhoon. I had that cooler and while it was decent, it was not silent like the name.

Yeah do not worry about the orientation of the heatpipes. The effects are not significant enough to affect your performance gains.

Back