• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 3100+ vs.Sempron 2800+ for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antoneo

Hey guys, I already have a Sempron 2800+ @ 2.4GHz on a DFI NF3 and need to upgrade (rather replace) my other computer who is on its way out.

My question is, should I get a Sempron 3100+ ($106ish) or a Sempron 2800+ ($76ish) for overclocking? I'll be pairing this one up with another DFI NF3 board so hitting 300HTT shouldn't be a problem. Do both CPUs share the same overclocking ceiling or will the Sempron 3100+ have a greater likelihood of a higher overclock? Or does would the 3100+ take less voltage to get there?

I'm trying to figure out if I can avoid getting the same chip again, but if there is an advantage to the Sempron 3100+, I'll take it. Or is there a better CPU to get at around $100 bucks?

antoneo said:
Hey guys, I already have a Sempron 2800+ @ 2.4GHz on a DFI NF3 and need to upgrade (rather replace) my other computer who is on its way out.

My question is, should I get a Sempron 3100+ ($106ish) or a Sempron 2800+ ($76ish) for overclocking? I'll be pairing this one up with another DFI NF3 board so hitting 300HTT shouldn't be a problem. Do both CPUs share the same overclocking ceiling or will the Sempron 3100+ have a greater likelihood of a higher overclock? Or does would the 3100+ take less voltage to get there?

I'm trying to figure out if I can avoid getting the same chip again, but if there is an advantage to the Sempron 3100+, I'll take it. Or is there a better CPU to get at around $100 bucks?

Have you thought about an A64 3000 venice. Pretty sure they can be bought at around $110-$120. Just a suggestion.

Yes, I have thought about buying a Venice core but how much would a motherboard that is capable of overclocking it well cost? I also have a 9800pro that I'd like to use but it's AGP and NF4 boards are all PCI-E. :(

Back