• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help figuring out some problems !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigeasy2218

Registered
I have a MGE case with a 400w PSU that came with the case I recently built a home office PC and I used the case from my gaming rig. my question is would a dieing PSU cause system reboots, it doesnt do it all the time just every time I am using a system heavy program or multiple programs (3-4 media player, microsoft excel, photoshop CS and maybe one more). the worst it has gotten was reboot boot up to windows go threw start up and then reboot after maybe 13 or 14 secs. any help would be nice I am just thinking about buying a new PSU and throw in it, but I want to be sure first.

thanks

It might be psu, depending on quality of that psu, generic psu might be not good though I am not sure. You might also try getting memtest86 to check if ram is working with errors.

Do you overclock cpu or run it stock speed?

no this computer is running at stock speeds I didnt think I would need to overclock this one because it was a home office PC mostly for microsoft word and excel and some photoshoping for friends websites. I have had this case/PSU combo for a little over a year and I hear that some PSU's that come with cases just plain suck or arent what they advertise.

thanks for your help

Do you know the bramd of PSU? Can you open the case and get the name for us? It will really help in determining exactly what you're dealing with. SOme generic PSU's are very bad. Some are even classified as fire hazzards, and we don't make statements like that lightly. SOme are OK, but are mostly meant for stock systems that don't draw much.

You may be overloading the PSU. That's why if we knew what the name on the PSU was, we could find it's specs and go from there. We have alot of guys here who know the particulars of alot of PSU's. It's very important that a computer have the right amount of wattage and amperage.

As was stated, memory can also cause errors, but the PSU can cause a system to act like a wild beast. Literally like a beast. It can cause instability, errors, crashes, hard locks, and just generally make you want to pull your hair out.

I'm not saying that is what is happening, but just describing what *can* happen.

We really need to know specifficly what we're dealing with here. If you could get the name and the ratings on the PSU, that would be most helpful. :)

the PSU is a MGE PSU it says 400w's the case is a MGE M1 case with front LCD display, as for the ratings I will get back to you on that as for I am at work right now

just to give an update I recently purchased a 520 powerstream and installed it the PC has run perfectly with the new Power Supply the old one was about dead

Back