• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Translucid

Registered
well i just got my new a64 up and running its currently at 11x230 which shouldnt be a problem for it, but i noticed something alarming when i put it at that. before when i was at 11x220 with 1.6 vcore the temps were around 39-42 idle. now they are at around 61 idle with 11x230 1.55 vcore im not even gunna attempt to do any benchmarking or test stability at those temps i wanted to know if thats normal or what, cause i can hardly see a 110 mhz jump warenting 20+ deg celcius jump in idle temp. i have done nothing else to the computer the hsf hasnt been remounted or anything everythings the same as it was when i was at the lower core speed.

Firstly reduce it back to 11 x 220 to see if the temperatures return to what they previously were. If they dont then something has fundamentally changed.

i just changed everything to stock 11x204 1.4 vcore and now it idles at 59 deg c. wtf i also reseated the hsf and still 59 deg c, im using as5 at thermal paste, and its seated the exact same way as it was when i first installed it, could this be in any way related to damage to the processor or motherboard?, or could the thermal probe just be damaged and reading falty? the northbridge is at 32 and the mosfets are at 32 also idle. their temp hasnt changed. but right now i put it up to 11x220 and its idleing at 62

So basically temperatures have increased dramatically and you have made absolutely no hardware or software adjustments (except overclocking)?
What program are you using for the temperature reading and have you tried to cross check it with something else?

i also touched the heatpipes and noticed they arnt realy hot, although didnt touch them when the temps were reading 30-40ish eigther, but this leads me to believe that the heatsink isnt even doing anything. i do have a 119 cfm fan on it but i mean theirs like almost no heat. i also tryed remounting it like 3 times and all the same result.

i used the program that comes with the mb, abit eq along with everest. they both give the same temps.

Clearly the heat sink is incorrectly installed - take off and inspect heat sink to see if thermal grease is evenly applied on it.

hmmm i dont see why it would just mess up out of nowhere its not even heavy with the fan on it.

well if the heat sink is not hot then its not extracting heat effectively - perhaps someone has inadvertantly knocked your system?

ok... well i have taken it off and reseated it Again, and to no avail, the temps are still high, and the dam thing still isnt hot. i took the fan off it and the temps stayed the same, so i know something is screwed up. i have no clue what, though this is realy ****ing me off. i took the exact same steps from arctic silver's homepage for applying the thermal paste, i cleaned both the heatsink and the processor, the heatsink is centered on the processor core, i mean.. i held it down evenly when clipping the clamps on the side, im stumped as to why this wont just work the way it did when i first put it on.

i would also like to add, that the heatsink is firmly on the chip, its right on top of it and pressing on it fairly hard. so i cant imagine why its not heating up. could the as5 be bad? should i try this generic thermal compound that came with the si-120

I assume when you removed the heat sink and inspected it the impression left from the arctic silver on the heat sink perfectly matched the shape of the core? If you are following the AS5 instruction on the site then I dont know what to suggest as it is way better than generic. When you touched the heat sink did you feel it near the base rather than on the pipes.
BTW when you say you removed the fan and ran it do you mean the temperatures were identical to that with the fan running
If so that simply suggests 2 things - either the heat sink is wrongly installed or the temperature probe/software used is FUBAR.

well when i removed thefan i was lookin bios so not much was happening, but it did go from 57-58 to 58-59 so i know that something is happening. and as far as the as5 imprint yea it matched the core size.

god its a pain to keep tryin to remount this thing gotta unhook everything and take it outta the case every time. im flashing my bios now to see if that does anything at all, from version 20 to 24 eh maby ill get a break.

well magicaly my heatsinks getting hot again after i flashed my bios... go figure. and my temps are around 28-30 idle which is realy nice, for being at 11x220 from 11x204, and all this time i had my tower laying on its side, so their is no force on the heatsink to make it slip or anything i didnt even touch it. so i dont know what flashing the bios did, but it worked apparently.

I can 100% categorically state that flashing the bios will not make your heatsink work better (though it has been know to show theoretically lower or even higher temperatures).
You must have done something during the last time you reinstalled it and the AS5 has now settled if the temperatures are really lower (if the heatsink is now functioning correctly).

heres what i did

first, i reseated the heatsink, i hooked everything up i went into bios looked at temps, was dissapointed again so i just booted up to see if u had any new info. i had the comp running for maby 20 min, i then posted that i was gunna flash bios, i flashed then rebooted, and viola temps down. and i touched the heatsink and it was getting hotter, granted 28 deg c isnt gunna be taht hot. and through all that time the only time i even touched the computer was to flip the power switch, and when i touched the heatsink after i noticed the temp drop, but does 28-31 on idle seem about right?

also when i reinstalled it i did give the heatsink a once over with the power sander and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. then i used some 1200 grit polish on it after thinking maby i convexed it last time i lathed it. thats about all i did physicaly to the processor or heatsink

The bios flashing is coincidental to the temperature reduction. The previous actions are what gave you the lower temperatures (again assuming they are genuine not theoretical) and the fact your heatsink is now hot again means it cant be down to parameters such as CnQ.

well i was lookin around and i found out on the abit forums that with the av8 motherboard pretty much everyone that had it noticed that the cpu temps were erratic, one boot it would be 20-30's others would be in the upper 60-70's
guess was just my imagination with the heatpipes.

Back