• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system.... looking for tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTI Techy

Here is the list of parts (including prices) that I'm planning to throw together... If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to share. :)

list

CPU
AMD Athlon x2 4400+ .....................$530

Mboard
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe/WiFi...............$260

Case
Antec Black SPCR P180....................$150
w/
Nexus 500W NX-5000 PS....................$125

Ram
Corsair XMS-3500LL Pro 2GB...............$317

Graphics Card
GeForce 7800GT 256MB.....................$360

Hard Disk Drives
Primary:
WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM.................$170

Optical Drives
Primary:
BenQ 56x CD R/W..........................$50

Secondary:
BenQ Dual Layer +/- DVD Burner...........$60

Your rushing him, lol.

Anyways, I don't think I've heard of that motherboard, so I can't really say much on that. Not too sure why it costs so much though, maybe it's the Wi-Fi.

I highly recommend a different PSU. If your willing to pay up to $120 for a new PSU, I'd say the OCZ PowerStream520W is a much better choice then that Nexus one.

Are you sure one Raptor is enough storage space for you? Some people find 74GB to be pretty limiting.

I was also looking at an Enermax NoiseTaker 485W... but I didn't think that would be enough power... also, I wasn't positive how well it would support an SLI configuration as I plan to upgrade sometime in the future

Next time someone tries to claim it's cheaper to build an AMD system vs. Intel, I'm going to show 'em this thread. That's some expensive components.

Next time someone tries to claim it's cheaper to build an AMD system vs. Intel, I'm going to show 'em this thread. That's some expensive components.

I don't have to spend that much money. But when I have it to spend... why not?
I'd like to for once have a system where OC'ing is a choice... not a necessity. I want a system that can run faster backwards than most systems do in their dreams...
Also, if you compare this system to the cost of a Pentium system with the same performance... I'm sure you'll be seeing close, if not more.

--and that's my 2 cents.

That's not the full list either. Once I get the basic tower built I'm then planning on adding a Swiftech H20-8501-64 water cooling system, a Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard, a Samsung SP2004C 200GB as a secondary HDD, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Logitech DiNovo Media Desktop Laser keyboard/mouse combo, then finding some kind of monitor... I don't have a clue as to what monitor I want yet. I was also toying around with the idea of buying a high-def TV and running the computer through it and a home theater system.

batboy said:

I don't really think its cheaper sometimes, But for most computer builders, they are must usally also heavy gamers and AMD does pwn intel in gaming.

Yes, Powerstream is a good PSU.

The only reason that I have the money is due to a death in the family... not really the best way to come about the money to build an awesome rig :/

:welcome:

Sorry about the loss.

WoW that is a awesome MB.

Powerstream all the way.

How about instead of the Raptor go with 2x80 Hitachi SATA 7200 in a Raid-0 which will give you more space and pretty much the same speed.

Just my $0.02

MassRaptor

Won't there be a somewhat noticable difference between 7200 and 10,000 RPM? and is there a difference in cache size between those, or are they both 8MB... I don't want this system to be limited by peripherals in any way.

And I noticed a couple of you have noted on the space... I really do not need that much space... I've been running 80GB for some time now and still have 60 free... Maybe someday I would need that much, but for right now I'm not worried

Raptors are great, but really debateable on the regards of if it's a good choice to buy or not. I'd just say the only disadvantage is the price/performance ratio of it, your paying a little too much for something thats 74GB. But if that's enough HDD space for you, then by all means go for the Raptor. It's just that if your tight on a budget, most would skip the raptor and save about $80 on a simple 250GB 16mb cache HDD. If you run out of space, add another Raptor and RAID them if you want later on.

I hear that. I'm usually the first to go with a cheaper part and try to get the same performance out of it. For instance: my first OC'd system was a celeron 800 running at 1.12... nothing to celebrate over, but I got a little performance out of it.

Back