• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to overclock 7800GT with coolbits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper.nkc

Hello all.

When I first bought the 7800GT (Oct 07) and loaded the display driver on CD (retail), I was able to overclock my videocard. When I loaded coolbits, I was able to autodetect to 489/1.16. Since then, I have loaded the lastest nVidia display driver and I CAN'T overclock anymore. I removed the display driver with driver clean in Safe mode and followed the instructions. Now I am back to 77.70 driver and still no luck. Even if I lower the frequency settings, I get a fail test. When I click autodetect, I get a black screen and back to windows with default settings of 445/1070.

I like to be able to autodetect and overclock this card. Can some one help me?

Your not using rivatuner also are you?
I found if using riva tuner and coolbits, when you make the transition between drivers or you overclock with coolbits while RT is installed it does some funny **** atleast with the 7800's.

I would go to add/remove programs and uninstall the display driver, reboot into safe mode, then run the nvidia driver cleaner then run the cab cleaner.

Try the 81.85 drivers see what happens, I actually prefer the beta version, and the new XG 81.85's are out also.

I do have rivaturner installed too. Interesting....

I will uninstall Rivatuner and display driver as suggested and load latest driver and coolbits. Will report back. Thanks!

Yeah I never noticed anything like I mentioned with 6800gt and coolbits and rivatuner.

when I got my 7800gtx i noticed right away some weird conflict, when I change drivers now, before I even uninstall the display driver I uninstall RT first.

Later after the new driver is installed, even if I use coolbits to overclock while rivatuner is there, it borks itself lol.
Gotta use RT to OC if they are both there.

Well, I removed the rivaturner, did a driver clean in safemode, and installed the latest display driver and loaded coolbits, and still no luck. Unable to autodetect. Damn. Any other suggestions?

Well, things are the same. This is crazy. Why can I not autodetect anymore. I did removed the NF4 chipset files and reload DFI NF4 system files and reloaded eVga display driver and still unable to auto detect.

wow it fails everytime ?
your selecting manual overclocking and performance 3d correct ?

What is your temp while trying to auto detect? Temp has a big influence in it.

My temp is 44C idle. I am selecting 3D and autodetect. Just unable to overclock. Weird. Even if I downclock I get a test fail. I will reload the bios and see if that helps. Thanks!

Thanks man, I am gonna hold off on flashing my vid card. It doesn't make sense why I am unable to overclock. All I did was load the latest nVidia driver and bang, this happens. I am gonna take a break from this since I am fustrated and wait until Evga respond back to me on this. Totally weird!

Anyone here have an evga 7800GT using coolbits? Do you use it to overclock? My frequencies are 445/1070 in 3D/2D ( I am using rev xxxx.02 video bios). For the life of me, I can't overclock nor DOWNCLOCK. I have used coolbits, Rivaturner and Powerstrip, and it's like stuck. I get a test failed when manually change frequencies and Autodetect does nothing but goes black and back to windows with no optimum settings detected. I think I am the only person having this problem because not many have replied.

I have flashed the video bios to evga version 01 and 02 and the results are the same. I have tried all display drivers including 81.85 and still no luck. I have used driver cleaner too. Can someone help me overclock this card? Or is it faulty?

Why does anyone need coolbits if they were using RivaTuner?

Riva Tuner has all the options in it. Coolbits is the nVidia program for doing it. Coolbits is the old way. Riva gives you much more functionality.

I uninstall Riva too when I load new drivers, but not because I use coolbits. It's because I want to get rid of all associations and drivers before loading new ones.

After my drivers have been loaded in safe mode, I boot back to Win and reload Riva.

Just scrap the coolbits. You don't need it with Riva. That auto-detect stuff? Bah! Disable that auto detect stuff in Riva. It'll give you a different OC everytime you click it.

Do your OC'ing just like you do with a CPU and RAM. Raise it a little, and test, raise it little and test. When your scores start to drop off, back it back down until you find the sweet spot in the OC.

My bet is unless he got a bad BIOS flash it's a bad driver install.

Do everything in this order...

1. Manually remove nVidia Drivers thru Add/Remove Programs
2. Unistall Riva Tuner and Any other OC'ing or Card Monitoring Software
3. Boot Into Safe Mode and Run DC Pro
4. Stay in safe mode and re-install new drivers
5. Boot back to normal windows, and re-install Riva...do NOT install Coobits...Riva already has those options in it and all you have to do is click the checkbox to enable manual OC'ing.

Note: By using safe mode you bypass all AV Software, Script Blocking, and any other security measure on your system, so if you're using broadband, turn off the modem before you reboot to safe mode.

Also, AV Software can conflict with driver loads.

Thanks for the tips. I am now able to temporary overclock my card for now. I am using Rivatuner. It seems there are some MANDATORY settings in Rivatuner you must apply to overclock the video card. I have disabled internal clock test and that was a big plus. Done some more tweaking and if I select 2D or low 3D power setting, I am able to set clocks, but my 3Dmark was very low. I need to find a way to set clocks in 3d Performance. At least I am in the ball park.

Can someone provide information on what settings you must enable to maximize overclocking the video card in Rivatuner? It is getting late here and I will follow-up tomorrow and maybe I can find a website that can explain all this overclocking stuff for a 7800 series card.

You are correct, coolbits is crap. Funny it did work for me and then I lost the usability of it. Weird. That is what I was trying to fix and I hit a wall :bang head .

Back