• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spray Painting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Just a couple questions for those who have spray painted before and have experience...

What grit sand paper should i use to flatten out/remove the current color? i've heard some say 100-200 and others say 400..

What grit sand paper should i use between coats for the primer and color?

I will be buying Krylon spray paints. What paints do you recommend is use to obtain a Flast Finish

Im not looking for a glossy finish. I am just looking for a flat durable finish that won't chip or scratch. Should i still put a clear coat after? I just want to know what spray paint cans i should buy. :shrug:

Anyo ther tips would be great.

Thanks guys

Well, is the material you are spraying on is plastic or metals? I just sprayed my mouse and keyboard (black still just wanted to get rid of the Dell logo) and because they are pastics they work fine. And They are a flat finish, look for Ultra-Flat Krylon sprays. Im sure with metal you will definatly have to prime it, because the paint will probably just run then.

Depending on how thick of a coat or prime you put on, might have to go from 150 to 400. Those 2 should help, just use the 150 for basic and 400 for getting it really nice and smooth. Probably dont need to go above that.

Problem with clear coats is that they are usually for gloss finishes. I dont think the Krylon will chip off, but look into Rustoleum for prime, good for metals.

Are you just spraying it a solid color or doing a design or what?

Make sure you get flat colors if you dont want shine. As far as sanding goes. To take the original color off start with 100 and work all the way up to 230ish with metal. Plastic you just need to make it smooth so somewhere in the 200's would be fine. If its metal you then have to prime and sand with 400 grit every few coats to ensure flatness. Only sand lightly and make sure to use water and some dishsoap. Then after you have a few coats of primer on you can start repeating the process with the flat color. Apply a few VERY light coats and sand after a few to smooth.

EDIT: Applying clearcoat will protect the new paint from scratching as easily. But will add some shine. You also need to make sure that you follow the cans instructions for distance to apply from and all that. They are usually right on.

I personally like to use rustoleum or krylon (fusion for plastics) and then clearcoat. I haven't done it but I heard that after apply a few good coats of clearcoat you can sand with 600 grit or 800 grit sandpaper to remove some of the shine.

Back