• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with a new system build please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calidan

Greetings folks.

I just put together a system for a friend, the system worked fine for 2 weeks and then yesterday it just started shuting itself down within 10 minutes and sometimes within 1 minute.
Also having problems with the mouse not turning on, if you yank the plug and put it in a diferent slot it will pick it up usually but sometimes you have to restart. Might be a result of the shutdown thing its pulling so may not be a factor.

It is not a heat problem, the CPU sits at 42C ish so its not the MB shutting it down.
I thought it might be a PSU problem so i tried swithcing it out with a known good one.
I tried a diferent video card in it for the heck of it.

Here are the system specs.

A64 3000+ CPU
Chaintec NF3-250 MB (yeah i know but they are cheap OC fine and i have built 11 systems with this board and never had a problem)
1 GB Crucial pc3200 ram
xfx 6800 video card
WD 200 GB HD
antect truepower 430 watt PSU

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next ?

I had the same build for a similar friend and had the same exact problem. It turns out to be the NB cooler. This mobo comes with a very whimpy NB cooler. If it already start shutting down, the NB may already be bad and you may want to RMA the mobo.

I RMA the first mobo and purchase a NB cooler with the 2nd one. Works fine over a year now and have it OC around 2.5 to 2.6 with a newcastle 2800.

Arggh i hope i dont have to RMA the darn thing :(
Thanks for the reply though!

Back