• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I read this on another board about custom PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if it's about people selling custom built computers to other people, as I assume it is, then I agree in the sense that it isn't the right decision for anybody to buy their computer from a random person. They should build it themself if that's what they want, or they should buy it from a real company. I would much rather see my grandmother buy a Dell than buy some computer from a kid who claims he can do much better for cheaper. Just my opinion.

Scott9027 said:
Well if it's about people selling custom built computers to other people, as I assume it is, then I agree in the sense that it isn't the right decision for anybody to buy their computer from a random person. They should build it themself if that's what they want, or they should buy it from a real company. I would much rather see my grandmother buy a Dell than buy some computer from a kid who claims he can do much better for cheaper. Just my opinion.

my thoughts exactly

I have a rifle ready for the next person who talks to me like the person who responded to that advertisment.

What mediocre parts ? if you're building computers, GOD knows you're too stupid to build at component level, so you're not building your own video cards and motherboards, dells come with radeons, or built in intel extreme graphics (which arn't for gamers obviously, but there is a niche for onboard graphics) IF dell computers were so bad they wouldn't be the leading computer manufacturer in the world, and you wouldn't be building scraps from newegg in your mommies basement.

oh, what about geforces :rolleyes:

Dell is the leading computer manufacturer of the world because they make tons of money off of brand alone. They take intel desktop boards, cripple them, and stick a Dell name on them. Component level? Didn't think so. Only for the cheaper, low-range systems are what i'd reccommend from dell. Anything mid-range or higher, dell would have to be off the list, along with all other OEMs.

SO that microsoft and intel make a fortune off you ? more stupidness, intel makes more money from OEM's buying CPU's directly than from a customer buying a DELL who gets their cpu's for next to nothing.

And so microsoft keeps making money off you ?? windows costs the same in a custom build or a DELL

So that means you are either installing computers with illegal versions of windows or Linux.

I'm tired of seeing these lamos trying to rip people off with a pipe dream that building your own computer is better and cheaper for everyone, when its NOT.

Anyone with a need for a custom computer and can read beyond a 4th grade level can build their own system ,without giving you your cut. get a real job and stop bothering craigslist with your USELESS service.

* this is in or around Another rip off, buy from a real company, or you'll be SORRY
* no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I can't even comment on the first sentence, broken english. 'Stupidness' much?

and AFAIK, Dell sells Windows for less than it would cost buying retail, along with the CPUs inside their rigs which, may I quote, cost the consumer "next to nothing."\

us 'lamos' (perhaps you mean lame-o's?) can normally build systems for a lower price than Dell (or any OEM, for that matter) sells their systems. Plus, our systems don't come with preloaded crap, or crappy recovery systems.

Oh, by the way, we don't build "Fisher Price's baby's first computer".

:rolleyes:

It depends on the use. If the person wants a gaming computer, then I'd suggest that they let me build it. I can build it cheaper than if they were to get it from Alienware or something. If they wanna check their email, Dell can do better than I can for price.

Oni said:
It depends on the use. If the person wants a gaming computer, then I'd suggest that they let me build it. I can build it cheaper than if they were to get it from Alienware or something. If they wanna check their email, Dell can do better than I can for price.

Like said, midrange and higher, custom built is always cheaper.

SolidxSnake said:
I have a rifle ready for the next person who talks to me like the person who responded to that advertisment.

oh, what about geforces :rolleyes:

Dell is the leading computer manufacturer of the world because they make tons of money off of brand alone. They take intel desktop boards, cripple them, and stick a Dell name on them. Component level? Didn't think so. Only for the cheaper, low-range systems are what i'd reccommend from dell. Anything mid-range or higher, dell would have to be off the list, along with all other OEMs.

I can't even comment on the first sentence, broken english. 'Stupidness' much?

and AFAIK, Dell sells Windows for less than it would cost buying retail, along with the CPUs inside their rigs which, may I quote, cost the consumer "next to nothing."\

us 'lamos' (perhaps you mean lame-o's?) can normally build systems for a lower price than Dell (or any OEM, for that matter) sells their systems. Plus, our systems don't come with preloaded crap, or crappy recovery systems.

Oh, by the way, we don't build "Fisher Price's baby's first computer".

:rolleyes:

Is lame-o's a type of cereal?? lol.

I think his comments were geared to that one guy in general who has indeed been spamming CL for a while, and not so much to anyone who builds computers. but he does have a point

You can probably delete all of the pre loaded crap, I think aside from high end media/gaming rigs, an OEM brand is probably best, and if you are looking at a high end media system you're probably better off building yourself, rather than paying a fee for someone else to do it.

, dell has 2.8ghz P4 starting at 350 which is probably the top of the chain for the middle performance systems and 350 is impossible to beat for a custom computer guy

Lionsault_100 said:
Is lame-o's a type of cereal?? lol.

I think his comments were geared to that one guy in general who has indeed been spamming CL for a while, and not so much to anyone who builds computers. but he does have a point

You can probably delete all of the pre loaded crap, I think aside from high end media/gaming rigs, an OEM brand is probably best, and if you are looking at a high end media system you're probably better off building yourself, rather than paying a fee for someone else to do it.

, dell has 2.8ghz P4 starting at 350 which is probably the top of the chain for the middle performance systems and 350 is impossible to beat for a custom computer guy

You can delete the pre-loaded crap, but you shouldn't need to bother.

and like I said, low-range you can't beat OEMs

that same p4 2.8 is running 256MB of RAM with a 40GB HDD and a CD-RW no floppy or any other form of removable media.

Really, Low end is great from dell. I would buy a low end dell if I was won a budget. However I would never be able to play games on it. I also would have a heck of a hard time upgrading the HDD, as it only would have room for a single HDD on their stupid custom cases.

Ah well. TIs life ;)

^ 512 mb ... hehehehe , they do come with agp graphics though i believe, so you can probably chuck the mx440 it comes with

best way to sell custom built computers is to offer yourself as more of a "mentor" or a "guide". a lot easier and then you can pretty much guide yourself through. don't know if you will get paid but you will definitely get recommended to other people.

-1cem4n

yea, I'm working on guiding a couple people. Normally what I do is I offer to find the parts as cheap as I can, I give them used and new prices, and educate them on the differences.

Then I have them over and we build ;)

Tis more fun that way. Specially if it's a cute chick.. I mean, did I say that?

What I think you guys are reffering to is a "consultant". There's a huge market for this type of thing if you have the patience for it, and it pays fairly well. What we normally take for granted as typical computer knowledge, some people will pay, for you to explain it to them. It could be as simple as you sitting there with them and going through the WinXP tour, and just explaining the stuff that comes up that they still don't understand. I personally can't do it because I have no patience for that kind of thing, but there is a demand for it. Other than that, you can help people make intelligent decisions when it comes to buying a computer, and they'll pay you for it. Are they really getting what they paid for? Are they buying something that doesn't suit their needs? Are they overpaying for something? On top of all those things, you can suggest what you could build for them. If it's going to be something you're going to be working on inthe future, wouldn't you rather it be something you built and know what it can and can't do? Rather than "well, I can try this RAM, and hope it works...", "Well, IF I just shut all of this propriety software down, that loads on startup, and you'll never use, the system works just peachy.".

Gee, I can build an Athlon XP system that's faster than a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz for the same or even less. Thus, Delll still can be a rip off, at least sometimes. :(

Also, I test components to make sure that they're not faulty.

I would never recommend a Dell desktop. The quality just isn't there. Also, their choice of component is not driven so much by what's best for the consumer as by marketing deals (like their exclusive use of Intel over AMD). At the same time, I'd be hesitant to recommend some random kid. When it's for my family members, I build them myself. I've built my mother's and sister's, and upgraded my father's a lot (he bought a whitebox originally). I would recommend people do what my father did and find a local store that makes white box comps. They're just so much easier to upgrade than Dells because they use standard components.

i would have to say to build any decent gaming system around a grand in price your only real option is to build yourself or buy any sort of "off-brand" prebuild from some place with a fair amount of hardware options.... dell, ect all offer less than stellar graphics cards at crazy prices.

One thing i did notice is that their price options (for ram and hdds) have really lowered into the range of it being competative with just upgrading your ram as soon as you get the machine, and same goes with hard drives, they used to be way over priced. therefor one of my big pet peeves used to be recommending upgrading the ram yourself after purchase or i would always offer to just do it for them to save them some cash.... now i don't need to extend as much generosity :)

What it really comes down to is the warrenty, AND on most major retailers sites...like Dell's, HP's, and Compaqs...you can customize a computer anyway (to an extent).

Erm, well... I can get lifetime warranty on RAM, 3 year on CPU, Lifetime on Graphics, and 5 on HDD....

:)

Elif Tymes said:
Erm, well... I can get lifetime warranty on RAM, 3 year on CPU, Lifetime on Graphics, and 5 on HDD....

:)

very true and it doesnt cost a dime extra for those, especially when some of the things most prone to dying are your psu or your hdd which for even replacement cost (if you were to buy another) is probably going to run you much cheaper than any oem solution. and then chances are you get something of better quality or also larger capacity in relation to hard drives.

Back