• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad News.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

Well everyone...I sold my 2405FPW because I needed more money for my actual computer. I was wrong for buying the monitor before the parts, and I didn't want a monitor to restrict what I buy. I now have 744 more dollars to spend on my actual computer. I loved this monitor to death, as you may have read my "OMFG JUST GOT A 2405FPW!!!!" thread. I still reccomend this monitor as it is truly amazing. Dell also has awesome customer support. I received an instant email back, UPS is picking it up for free, I get a full credit back, AND a 50 dollars off my next purchase of $50 or over. I will now, unfortunately, have around 200 dollars or less to buy my monitor. I am looking for a high end CRT whcih is easily attainable off of ebay, any suggestions?

BUY THE 2405FPW IF YOU HAVE THE $$$$$$.

Nick59007 said:
i would recommend the sony E540

its 21inches and has the best image quality around (well its up there)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-E540-21-SO...yZ116350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there u go u can buy it now.........this is the slightly lesser version of the monitor that maximum pc had as there best monitor for like 6 years....the only reason why is not anymore is because they dont make them anymore

Good Luck and sorry about the dell

Awesome....if it's been up there for 6 years, I will definately consider it.

I wouldn't recommend that Sony as it's limited by its 110kHz horizontal refresh rate. Although, if the price is right, it might not be that bad, but what's the point of a CRT if you can't do high resolution at decent refresh rate? I'd recommend you look for one like mine (Viewsonic P225f), or Mitsubishi DP2070SB or NEC FP2141SB. The prices are high right now on eBay but they often show up for cheaper if you're not in that much of a hurry.

I should also add, the "good" Sony that he's alluding to (if I'm wrong, let me know) is probably the GDM-F520. Supposedly the best image quality you can get, but google it and find dozens of horror stories about poor reliability and sudden failures. As someone who's had a CRT (HP p1130) catch fire, it's not a good thing. Since all of the Sony CRTs are getting a bit old since none have been manufactured in a while, it's more likely you'll end up unlucky. I wish more manufacturers would continue to make decent CRTs, as I far prefer them to any LCD (well, I haven't had the opportunity to try the Apple 30" yet, that seems like it'd be amazing to have), but I guess it's not to be.

b1029384756 said:
I should also add, the "good" Sony that he's alluding to (if I'm wrong, let me know) is probably the GDM-F520. Supposedly the best image quality you can get, but google it and find dozens of horror stories about poor reliability and sudden failures. As someone who's had a CRT (HP p1130) catch fire, it's not a good thing. Since all of the Sony CRTs are getting a bit old since none have been manufactured in a while, it's more likely you'll end up unlucky. I wish more manufacturers would continue to make decent CRTs, as I far prefer them to any LCD (well, I haven't had the opportunity to try the Apple 30" yet, that seems like it'd be amazing to have), but I guess it's not to be.
the monitor i gave a link 2 does 1600by1200 at 85hz what else do u need?

b1029384756 said:
I wouldn't recommend that Sony as it's limited by its 110kHz horizontal refresh rate. Although, if the price is right, it might not be that bad, but what's the point of a CRT if you can't do high resolution at decent refresh rate? I'd recommend you look for one like mine (Viewsonic P225f), or Mitsubishi DP2070SB or NEC FP2141SB. The prices are high right now on eBay but they often show up for cheaper if you're not in that much of a hurry.
None of those are even on ebay if you look for them by their model number...

Herr Rogers said:
None of those are even on ebay if you look for them by their model number...

The Viewsonic is, though rather expensive at $400. If you look at the completed auctions, though, one sold for $60 and another for $150. The NEC I suggested also recently ended an auction, though also expensive. That why I said, if you're willing to wait a bit for a good deal to come up.

Edit: That IBM P275 is also a very nice monitor and at a decent price there also. I'd say buy it if you want a great CRT immediately. You won't be disappointed at having to give up your LCD when you see it.

i dont know how you could give up that 24" monitor... How can you go back (to smaller monitors) after such an experience??

I know that after going phase change cooling, i could never cool my computer with just water or air!

Good luck on your new selection

b1029384756 said:
2048x1536@75-85Hz would be good.
when do u ever play a game at that res. and if u are its the laggest experence ever..........

also he only has like 200 bucks 2 work with so he cant buy a nice 21inch monitor with perfect image quality and that kinda of res.......he could have just kept the dell if money was no object

Get a cheap CRT locally (best buy or whatever) and when you have money for a nice lcd, buy it, and throw the crt of a building.

9mmCensor said:
Get a cheap CRT locally (best buy or whatever) and when you have money for a nice lcd, buy it, and throw the crt of a building.
I have a monitor I can use in the meantime. I have turned a negative situation (selling 2405), and turned it into positive (better res and refresh for less). Now I have more money to spend on my actual computer.

Nick59007 said:
when do u ever play a game at that res. and if u are its the laggest experence ever..........

also he only has like 200 bucks 2 work with so he cant buy a nice 21inch monitor with perfect image quality and that kinda of res.......he could have just kept the dell if money was no object

The P275 is $235.00 with free shipping, and it can do 1600by1200 at 180 hz, it is an awesome crt..and it is on sale too!

Herr Rogers said:
I have a monitor I can use in the meantime. I have turned a negative situation (selling 2405), and turned it into positive (better res and refresh for less). Now I have more money to spend on my actual computer.
Hold of completely then. Dont settle for something that you dont really want.

Back