• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad News.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
b1029384756 said:
2048x1536@75-85Hz would be good.

you realize that using higher resolutions on a CRT forces it work harder which shortens it's life, right? granted, it may not matter if you don't keep a monitor for more than 3 or 4 years, it is still something to think about. i have a 19" trinitron that's 6 years old and running like a champ, but i don't run it at 1600x1200 (although i can). i've had it at 2048x1536 before installing drivers for my vid card but that was hideously tiny to look at. Also, to use that resolution, the crt would have to be monstrous. (or your eyes would have to be very good)

alinosa said:
you realize that using higher resolutions on a CRT forces it work harder which shortens it's life, right? granted, it may not matter if you don't keep a monitor for more than 3 or 4 years, it is still something to think about. i have a 19" trinitron that's 6 years old and running like a champ, but i don't run it at 1600x1200 (although i can). i've had it at 2048x1536 before installing drivers for my vid card but that was hideously tiny to look at. Also, to use that resolution, the crt would have to be monstrous. (or your eyes would have to be very good)

Yeah, which could be why my old one ended up burning, but I don't see the point of having a nice huge monitor to use it as if it were one you might find in a dumpster. As for a 19" CRT, most of those that are capable of 2048x1536 do so at a refresh rate of well under 70Hz, which is unacceptable to most. A 21"-22" will allow 75-85Hz if it's any good, and of course text will be more readable due to its size.

Back