• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat 5e or Cat 6 Cabling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

I am currently using a Cat5e cable at home to connect the router and the main host. I noticed at Best Buy that they had a Cat 6 cable for sale but it was $20. Is it worth upgrading to the Cat6 or a waste of money?

bchur83 said:
Cat5e is spec'd for 350Mhz (350Mb).

Funniest thing I've read all day :)

It all depends on your intentions later. Yes Cat5e can handle gigabit just fine... but if you plan to go gigabit, or even beyond later down the road then Cat6 may not be a bad investment.

But if you're not even to gigabit yet - then it's probably all about the price

Your better off with cat 5e because the only thing you'll get with cat 6 is a lighter wallet.

Upgrade to a Gigabit network? I have heard the term before but am not sure what it is, there are only 2 computers in my house networked together.

currently MOST LIKELY if your network is set up how I imagine your network is set up in a 10/100 fasion. This means that your theoretical max speed is 100 megabits per second. Cat5 and cat5e are plenty to handle this type of speed. Gigabit is a newer technology rated up to 1000 megabits per second. This requires more expensive/newer equipment. If you only have two computers keep your network set up the way it is, upgrading will be a waste of money.

You could always use Enhanced CAT5E which spec's out very very close to CAT6 cable. You can get a box of say, Berk-Tek Lanmark 350+ for around 120$ IIRC. Ends on ebay for a bag ran around 10$, crimpers and what not eh $50.... all in all its cheap comparitvely to full blown CAT6 cable standards.

Back