• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video capture cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

hey I was wondering what some good video capture cards are... right now I have a dazzle dvc 90 and it sucks...

I can only get it to capture video at good quality at 352x240 using their studio 9 program (when its suppose to be able to capture video at 640x480). When I try to capture video using Windows movie maker at 352x240 the video will drop frames like crazy and shake a little and will have an annoying green line at the bottom that constatnly changes black and green. The DVC 90 also doesn't work at all (well it will artifact like crazy and give you 1 good frames every 5 mins then freeze for 30 seconds then go back to crazy artifacts) when I plug it into the front usb ports for some reason. I am really not sure if its the software or hardware that is causing issues. If anyone has any tweaks I could try that would be great.

So what do you guys use... I am willing to spend $150 on a new capture card (maybe more).

Any suggestions would be great

I like Leadtek capture cards. Not only are their cards nice, but their software is the best I've ever used. Simple, looks great, and work perfect even in a multi screen environment. Oh and not expensive either. Take a look at this card here . This one here is just about as good, just doesn't have the onboard encoding. Not a problem for someone with a computer as fast as yours.

Those 2 you are looking aty are decent. I have not seen them in action, but I have tried desperately hard not to get those Hauppauge cards, only to realize tha they would make everything easier.

I use a Personal Cinema Edition of the FX5700. ITs capabilities are limited but it does what I ask of it. But I know if I had one of these, I could easily use MythTV, Windows MCE, or any other option, simply because everything supports them. :)

hyperasus said:
I like Leadtek capture cards. Not only are their cards nice, but their software is the best I've ever used. Simple, looks great, and work perfect even in a multi screen environment. Oh and not expensive either. Take a look at this card here . This one here is just about as good, just doesn't have the onboard encoding. Not a problem for someone with a computer as fast as yours.

Ya that leadtek card is looking pretty nice... does anyone know if the software that it comes with is worth the extra money because i like how the OEM card has RCA jacks in the back while the one with software doesn't.

Last edited:
All leadtek cards can be used with Leadteks WinFast PVR. If it doesnt come with the software then you can just go download it from thier website. I'd recomend downloading the latest drivers and software for it anyways.

well I got the oem leadtek card but for some reason I can't use the sound that comes from the coaxial cable... is this normal

I'ts been awhile since I've used the coax cable so I don't have an answer for you on that one. Maybe you will have to get ahold of Leadtek and see what they say about that. I doubt its anything too complicated.

I found out what I had to do... you have to take one of those audio cable things that you connect your cd drive to your sound card and connect it to 4 unlabeled pins on the capture card.

The first time I plugged the audio cable though windows wouldn't reconize it but after I reseated the card it worked (scared the crap out of me though)

Thx for the card suggestion again... I love it compared to the POS DVC 90 :p

Last edited:
oh ok that makes sense. I didn't plug in that audio cable either but I have just been using mine for S-video.

Back