• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building My First Athlon 64 Parts List: Any Issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Been lurking and reading the many informative threads for some time. Thank you all for your expertise, I have learned a lot.

I have built a few old Intel P3s and early Intel P4s over the years and now it’s time to make the big step to an AMD Athlon 64. Listed below are the parts I am going to assemble for a new build, some chosen from the advice gathered here. It’s not complete with a few minor items to be added.

I’m not a heavy “gamer” or power user, I just need a fast new work unit. My old Intel P3 1000 mhz needs to be retired. I don’t need an extreme video card and my list will indicate that. My budget is not an “open” one but I do not want to cheat myself in areas of utmost importance or buy items that are more expensive that I couldn’t tell the difference using them anyhow.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Venice, 3500 to perhaps 3800
MB: ASUS A8V 939 pin (basic) ASrock 939 Dual SATA :)
Video Card: ASUS V9520-X/TD/128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP
Power Supply: Antec Tru Power 480w
RAM Memory: Crucial (2 x 512MB) 184-pin CT6464Z40B
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
Case: CoolerMaster Case Centurion T05 Mid Tower

The case and power supply are ordered and on their way. The next steps are obviously very important too. The plan is to add a second WD 74G Raptor a little later. Operating system will be XP Pro. Overclocking will probably not be attempted. Are there any known issues or caveats with the list shown? I want to do this right the first time.

Last edited:
RollingThunder said:
Been lurking and reading the many informative threads for some time. Thank you all for your expertise, I have learned a lot.

I have built a few old Intel P3s and early Intel P4s over the years and now it’s time to make the big step to an AMD Athlon 64. Listed below are the parts I am going to assemble for a new build, some chosen from the advice gathered here. It’s not complete with a few minor items to be added.

I’m not a heavy “gamer” or power user, I just need a fast new work unit. My old Intel P3 1000 mhz needs to be retired. I don’t need an extreme video card and my list will indicate that. My budget is not an “open” one but I do not want to cheat myself in areas of utmost importance or buy items that are more expensive that I couldn’t tell the difference using them anyhow.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Venice, 3500 to perhaps 3800
MB: ASUS A8V 939 pin (basic)
Video Card: ASUS V9520-X/TD/128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP
Power Supply: Antec Tru Power 480w
RAM Memory: Crucial (2 x 512MB) 184-pin CT6464Z40B
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
Case: CoolerMaster Case Centurion T05 Mid Tower

The case and power supply are ordered and on their way. The next steps are obviously very important too. The plan is to add a second WD 74G Raptor a little later. Operating system will be XP Pro. Overclocking will probably not be attempted. Are there any known issues or caveats with the list shown? I want to do this right the first time.

TO be honest, i would go with the ASrock Dual SATA-II motherboard instead. It offers some nice Overclocking options if you change your mind, as well as AGP AND PCI-Express if you upgrade your card later on. Its also one of the best budget priced boards out there. It supports Sata-II, agp, pci-express, and dual channel memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Max0r said:
Watcha usin it for?

It's a general all around home computer with the intention of covering most possible future upgrades for a couple years. No intensive video requirements needed or projected, thus a basic video card listing.

If video requirements change my options are easily upgraded.

The A8V Deluxe is a solid board. It should serve you well for a couple of years since you don't seem to need high-end video performance. You can always upgrade to a 6800GT AGP a year or so down the road, which would be a huge upgrade from the FX5200. If you want to do any serious gaming, however, I would strongly urge you to consider going with a motherboard that supports PCI-e, like the ASRock board that was recommended by Mdoggs444.

I know you said you don't plan on overclocking, but if you want to save some money, I'd recommend going with a Venice 3200+ or 3000+ instead of the 3500-3800 that you had mentioned. With a little bit of research and some tinkering, you can easily run a 3000+ or 3200+ at the equivalent speed of a 3500+. You won't even need an aftermarket CPU cooler to achieve this minor overclock.

I would also recommend the ASrock Dual SATA-II motherboard that way in the future you can use pci-x and it's a nice board for the price I wouldn't spend the money you are wanting to on a 3500 and go with a lower in cpu instead as recommended above. And why not get to sata 80gb hard drives instead of the raptor and run a raid-0 or something.

Guys,

Appreciate all your advice and input. My "shopping list" has changed accordingly.

I have had first hand experience with the WD Raptors on other computers and I am sold on buying one.

Buckeye, it has been a long time since trying overclocking. Technology has changed a lot since then. If you don't mind, you may be hearing from me soon with a few questions..... :)

Back