• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s939 Opterons - What are you running 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fred Koser

After a few weeks to fiddle with my 146 I've settled for 2.5Ghz (250*10) with my Tcc5 running 1:1. I'm at 1.4v and just tickling 50C under full load on a warm day (FL weather is beautiful in the winter, but still not the overclockers friend!)

What are folks running their air-cooled s939 Optys at for 24/7? I can hit higher speeds, but even after re-mounting my XP120 3 times I can't keep the temps low enough to bump the voltage up and stabilize 2.7Ghz or higher. . .

Am I a wimp? :shrug:

Fred Koser said:
After a few weeks to fiddle with my 146 I've settled for 2.5Ghz (250*10) with my Tcc5 running 1:1. I'm at 1.4v and just tickling 50C under full load on a warm day (FL weather is beautiful in the winter, but still not the overclockers friend!)

What are folks running their air-cooled s939 Optys at for 24/7? I can hit higher speeds, but even after re-mounting my XP120 3 times I can't keep the temps low enough to bump the voltage up and stabilize 2.7Ghz or higher. . .

Am I a wimp? :shrug:

What core stepping did u get?

Ive seen 2.7-3.0 on air with a good opty core.

Last edited:
CABYE O540 FPAW

I know plenty of folks are posting 3.0Ghz and above on air, but thats not really my question.

Its one thing to hit a prime stable clock, but not everyone actually runs the processor at that speed for normal daily use. I'm wondring if since so many have had heat issues and issues with the IHS not seating correctly are many running more "humble" clocks 24/7?

This is a good question. If it runs stable 100% in prime 95, your saying heat problems would effect the ability to run the processor 24/7? I havent heard this but id like to see if this is an issue.

I'd say it would depend on the cooling, environment temp, etc.

Maybe I shouldn't assume that others run their rigs the same way I do. I've always had "noisy" fans on my CPUs (since my first 60mm "Delta Screamer" keeping my T-Bird from melting it's SK-6!) Because of this, I usually find the max OC of a CPU, then reign it in a bit to a good "compromise" speed that allows to me run the fan slower and not worry about heat killing my CPU down the road (I tend to hold on to CPUs for at least a year, then move them into rigs for my family. . .)

I guess my question could become a lot broader - Do most of you run your CPUs at their max stable clock 24/7?

I sure would if the temps werent insane high. I'll sure post my results when my rig is rebuilt with my new 148 Opty i ordered today :)

I've set on 2.78 Ghz at stock vcore on a XP90 without AS5, i'm burnning in my way up to 2.8Ghz stable at stock vcore as when i got it i could only do 2.71 at stock vcore. These cores burn in very very well.
I also noticed that i run more stable at 10x278 than 11x253. As right now i'm heat limited, i bet i can do 3.0Ghz at 1.5 all day long. But my temps goes to 67C

Living in the great white north and having gotten used to the fan noise. I am running at full tilt. I would not hesitate to kick it down a couple of clicks in the summer. Probably would not even notice the difference. These tornados do growl a bit :)

Last edited:
I feel you GEK. I've got 80mm and 92mm Tornados, thankfully, not using them anymore. My current 120mm Panaflo U1A is pretty tame, even at 12v. Maybe I should pick up a 120mm Delta for some extra CFMs.

Nathan0490 said:
wow nice despotes, what cooling?

The SI-120 in my sig. The 120mm Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H101 is only rated at 55cfm. When surfing I keep it turned down all the way(37-38C) ala Vantec Nexus and side case duct.

well I have to say that if I was you, in florida and all there is no way I would not have a water cooling setup, esp. with an opty and all the goodies. That is just my opinion.
So to answer the question I run mine at full tilt at all times because, hey thats why I spent the big bucks for opty, w/c setup, redline ram and all. I get 3.1 ghz on water and the only prob. I have is the whole cold boot issue other than that I love running at top speed all the time and temps are in the 40c 's (43C idle and 43C to 44C load) so there you go. beep beep

Well, this thread had me feeling like a class-A weenie, so I re-mounted the XP120 ONE LAST TIME with a little bit more AS5 than I'd been using and now I'm at 300*9 @ 1.4v maxing out at only 50-51C.

Time to push for 3.0Ghz! :cool:

I'm running my 146 CABYE O540 FPAW at 10x280 stock vcore 24/7.

My temp maxes out at 51c, I might be able to make 3GHz but I would need better cooling
and a new MB, so for 100-200MHz it's just not worth it to me.

Like EagleClaw above, I also have a 146 CABYE 0540FPAW. I run it 24/7 100% at 3GHz w/1.45v. It runs F@H all the time. Also keeps my basement warm I haven't had a stability problem yet. It is watercooled and runs 39C load, ambient temp of 23C

I also have a 146 CABYE 0536GPMW that runs 2.8Ghz @ 1.55v 24/7 100% load @ 37C. This cpu has the IHS removed and is watercooled also.

Both systems run the RAM 1:1. Surely with some good ram and timings you should at least make it to 2.8GHz with that chip.

Back