• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is max cpu voltage for phenom II's in your opinion for 24/7 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When you run blend Prime uses the page file...

Except every single other program ALSO uses the page file, so if the page file was corrupt, so would the whole operating system.

And not to be rude, but technically, if ONLY the ram were tested, there would be no point in that as a test. Memtest 86 tests the entire memory system, which technically has nothing to do with the cpu being as every 775 system has the nb OFF the cpu and on the mobo. Only Amd (and the i7) uses the IMC on the die.

Except every single other program ALSO uses the page file, so if the page file was corrupt, so would the whole operating system.

This is true but regardless the harddrive is used and so could cause an error...that all I was saying. Prime (Linpack, OCCT, etc.) runs a set of calculations with known outputs and checks to ensure the calculations are in fact the same as the known output. Memtest writes an arbitrary pattern of data to RAM and then checks to make sure the values are correct. Prime is the only one that also uses the hard drive and subsystem corresponding to it as far as I know, but again the likelyhood of the error being from HDD or SB is very small.

not trying to move this thread further off topic than it already is...Hahahaha, but does memtest also test chipset and nb-cpu considering they are in memory chain too?????? and would failing it also indicate a problem with one of those?
The chipset is not in the memory chain at all on AMD's ...

ok then in other words it has to be the d@mn cpu nb or memory causing these blue screens (e.g. the motherboard is more or less out of the picture it either is working or broke) given that I have already upped vcore, on another note it has made it 5+ hours and counting so far with the new memory modules maybe that was the source of my instability the whole time.

ok then in other words it has to be the d@mn cpu nb or memory causing these blue screens (e.g. the motherboard is more or less out of the picture it either is working or broke) given that I have already upped vcore, on another note it has made it 5+ hours and counting so far with the new memory modules maybe that was the source of my instability the whole time.

The only voltages you mentioned were the ram voltage and the vcore. What cpu-nb voltage are you running? I run 1.35v for stability. I am sure that probably isn't too great for my chip, but ehh, it will live.

i've been at 1.325 for some time now, and I even tried yesterday 1.35 to see if it made a difference, It did'nt.....Maybe my particular chip is not so great a performer in the cpu-nb speed department.....but I could successfully boot into windows at 2600mhz nb speed with same volts, not sure if this rules out that as source of instability???

By the way what happened at lower than 1.35v nbcpu...did you get blue screens ever or did you just set it up to that to be safe????

i've been at 1.325 for some time now, and I even tried yesterday 1.35 to see if it made a difference, It did'nt.....Maybe my particular chip is not so great a performer in the cpu-nb speed department.....but I could successfully boot into windows at 2600mhz nb speed with same volts, not sure if this rules out that as source of instability???

By the way what happened at lower than 1.35v nbcpu...did you get blue screens ever or did you just set it up to that to be safe????

I just popped it there because I have seen enough cases on here having to do with not enough nb voltage and it has been stable there. So unless I have stability issues or heat issues due to that voltage, I will leave it there.

Talk about getting a bad taste in my mouth for overclocking, after new memory change I ran prime overnight fine.....mind you I had previously passed with this setup at prime but only decided to retest after a few games crashed (no bsod only games giving "this program has stopped" error) ....... Anyway It ran fine overnight so I decided to leave it on for the rest of the day...Windows had rebooted itself when I got back from going into town...sometime between 21-24 hours stable not really sure when....gonna try to run the memory at 1000 mhz with same timings as 1066 and see If that helps it out any.

Wow... I have had the worst possible and the best possible outcomes as of recent... First, last night, my psu fired. No idea how, but I heard a nice pop and saw a green-yellow light. Luckily, everything (other than the psu) were fine. That was the bad, and for the good, I am running my whole rig (in sig) off of a 200watt dell psu! :screwy: I am shocked it is even booting none the less keeping my +3.3rail at 3.6!

Time for that 1000 watt corsair you've been drooling over for so long....are you running integrated graphics if not your gonna pop that psu tooo...hahahaha

Time for that 1000 watt corsair you've been drooling over for so long....are you running integrated graphics if not your gonna pop that psu tooo...hahahaha

Bahaha integrated graphics my ***! I am actually pondering a new psu, but I am not really wanting to sprinng $200+ for a psu when this one is under warranty.

DSCN0964.jpg

But I have really been given a chance to see the huge difference between a 2.7ghz daul on 65nm process compared to a 3.75ghz trike on the 45nm process! Bahaha it is sad to say the least.

well i guess your fine as long as you dont start trying to run any games or anything that would pull alot of amperage from the dell power supply....but it sucks you were getting such good results from the 720 and then then the Ultra went and died on you...Just think what could have been possible if you had a better (or maybe just the same type but not on it's last leg) power supply

Anyway back to my situation I decided to drop memory down a bit because if you remember I had bought some dominators that never would pass and stress test at default...I am thinking this d@mn motherboard of mine is real finicky about memory at 1066, so Im repriming (sound like im fixing a well pump) at 1000 mhz at same timings....If that does'nt fix things I'm gonna contact gigabyte and raise holy immortal h3ll with them and see if they will rma my motherboard and let me pay some type of difference in price for a 790gx or fx model.

well i guess your fine as long as you dont start trying to run any games or anything that would pull alot of amperage from the dell power supply....but it sucks you were getting such good results from the 720 and then then the Ultra went and died on you...Just think what could have been possible if you had a better (or maybe just the same type but not on it's last leg) power supply

To be truthful, I think it might have been my fault... :bang head. I have (had) some loose and exposed wires in my case (molex to 2 pin fan) and my damn cat bumped the case and it grounded and shut down, so I went to turn it back on and the button didn't work, so I opened the case and pressed the motherboard power button (after removing the molex to fan connector by the way) and pop! Green light and no power. Really ****ing me off to be truthful. I know people probably think it was a bad quality psu, which it truely wasn't I mean it saved my whole rig actually. I say it sacrificed its life for the rest of my $1K components!

well it's time to get you some heat shrink and fix that exposed wire before you fry another one....just dont tell the guys at Ultra you did that ok....Time to put RIP and 0 watts by your power supply in your sig.

I have already gone over the whole exposed wire in my head a billion times... Never doing that again. :bang head. And like the sig?

well seems that dropping memory down below 1066 (to 1000mhz) did'nt fix the problem actually the system restarted quicker than with memory at 1076 so Im at a loss as to what is the actual problem....I know that at 3550 its more or less stable, ran it for about 18 hours blend no problem, but Im thinking since I've changed PSU, Memory, the only thing left is MB or actual CPU is flaky....I have to go out of the country on a semi vacation/business trip but when I return I'm buying a 790gx motherboard..the same that Malakai has been using (ga-ma790gp-ud4h) to see If that solves my problem. Probably will also buy a cheap cheap video card to use with this MB in my sons rig (he only plays like the freebie games online anyway)

Back