• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dunno what it's called so need abit of info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xoligy

Ok im not sure what its called but my dad has asked me to look into it so that i can protect his computer from others and somoen that knows my dads passwords and stuff.

Anyway this is what my dad has said to me, the guy that sorts his computer out (i dont live near too) told my dad that he's set it up so that he (the guy sorting out the computer) has made it so he can access this own computer from my dads and get files and stuff without having to go home. Now my dad and i dont really know but my dad dosn't want the guy or anyone else for that matter getting on his computer because he has files on there he dosen't want people to see and he dosnt want this guy looking at mine or my brothers files!

Is there a way to find out if anyone could access my dads computer from over the internet and is there a way of making it so that its configured so only my dads can find the other guys so he carn't either:
a. see my dads computer
b. get on the computer without my dad typing a password (which only he would know)
c. make it one way traffic?

any info is appreciated and i can get more info but not for another 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Well I think the program you're referring to is either GoToMyPC: or RealVNC:

These are the two most popular programs that do what you described. As far if you could make it so the service only works one way, it may already work that way or if it doesn't there should theoretically be a way to do it, though I'm not familiar with the program and wouldn't know how. If your tech guy is familiar with the program he might be able to set it up that way himself, or you could send a query through the company website.

Thats all I know having not used the program, though I do know that there are people that use at least RealVNC on this forum and they might be able to give you some more specific information and help.

You can also do this via windows remote desktop connection. You can easily check if its enabled and disable it if so. Just google it.

You are being very confusing.

1. Did the tech say he could access his computer from your dads to get files and such?

2. Did the tech say he could access your dads computer so the tech can fix it without going to your dads house?

if #2 then there are several programs he could be using to do this. My favorite is Logemein but he could be using VNC or gotomypc or even another one like the one built into windows. Look for these programs on your dads computer . If #1 then there is no problem.

To check for Remote Desktop enabled, hold the windows key and hit the Pause Break key. Then remote ----> remote desktop (should be unchecked. For safety you can uncheck the top one too.

Back