• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exige

I just recently converted to AMD after getting a celeron d processor in a Compaq I got a while ago for entire high school, (about 4 years ago) which I now realize was no where near worth the money we paid for it. But anyways, I would play CS:S on that, with my X700 and I would get a MAX of 12 frames per second.

I was picking out new processors last year, and my friend told me to go AMD, he said they were a lot cheaper and much faster, so I asked him more and was a bit hesitant, because all my other friends have Intels, and all say how much AMD sucks, but I had to admit it was $100, under the P4 I was planning on getting. So, I ended up getting a AMD Sempron 2400+ Palermo 2.01GHz, as soon as I installed it, I almost cried at the boosted frame rate, I now have a stedy 80-120FPS, 155 Max. On the test I got 94-96.

Basically since then, every one of my friends have taken an intrest in AMD's, because of their speed, reliability, price, and greater abilities to overclock.

Well, they've all been buying Athlon's recently, and one of my friends had the Gall to tell me that Semprons are equal to a Celeron, I basically bitched him out and told him how he could even compare the two, because he saw my FPS tests before and after.

So, my question is, are Sempron's really that Inferior to Athlon's?

(Sorry for giving you my whole life story, just kinda wanted to relay the situation. :bang head) :shrug:

Semprons are great cpu-s, and when overclocked it can beat a A64 and P4..
I think Sempron is a best price/performance cpu, especialy when overclocked...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/cpu-games2_3.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/cpu-games2_5.html

It is evident that Sempron processors perform better in games than Celeron D. moreover; overclocked Sempron CPUs can sometimes run almost as fast as the top processor models. Unfortunately, Celeron D cannot boast the same success from overclocking.

What your friend is probably trying to point out, is that the sempron is amd's budget line, while the celeron is intel's budget line. Here the similarities stop. The Sempron is nearly identicle to it's athlon counterpart, except it's castrated in the form of less cache. Intel does pretty much the same with the celerons. However, less cache makes much less impact on an AMD system than on an Intel system. This is the primary reason that the Sempron outperforms the Celeron. I would not even compare the two.

J.

I was rather dismayed that a sempron 64 in general OC way better then my A64 2800, when you take in the extra OC there really isnt that big of a difference....have to be careful which sempron you get though, some have 256k cache and some only have 128k.

I have built 9 sempron 64 systems now and every single one would OC around 5-10% better then the regular A64, not a totally sure thing about the extra OC but it sure has been true for me so far :)

Back