• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 lga775 prescott 521j 2.8ghz overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

longneck122

Registered
ok i got my motherboard.. YAY!!!

My system now runs as-is.....

CPU: 3338.4mhz
CPU Voltage: 1.525 bios, 1.630 cpu-z
Bus speed: 953.8mhz
Mem: 2.5,5,5,15
Mem Freq: 238 mhz
Mem Voltage: 2.9v
pci-e locked to 100
pci locked at 33.33

that's a 19% o/c.

lol so far my cpu hasn't gone above 37c degrees.

I wonder if i could get more out of this, but when i up the bus speed it won't boot. LOL there's no way i'm going to overheat it i guess. If anyone has any ideas for more clocks plz let me know.

Longneck122.

Best place to start is possibly to drop your divider to 5:4 And loosen the timings, that way you'll be sure its not your ram holding you back..

Try that to start then use small fsb increments and test.

I'm really not sure what voltages those CPU's are meant to run at, but 1.6 seems high for a prescott on (air?)

-Webzta

Ok well start by finding out if its your ram that's holding you back..

I'm also unfamiliar with that motherboard, I take it it's 775, But what chipset ?

The motherboard is an i915, so don't expect high FSB. Unfortunately, you probably are close to max with that board. In fact, lots of people can't even get as much FSB as you did with the i915 chipset.

lol that sux... was hopin to do 3.5 still like my o/c... obvious diff in performance.
so no other suggestions?

Ah batboy of knowledge has enlighted u :)

I think you're only options for a better o/c would be a new motherboard sadly.

Here is what I suggest to squeeze a little more out of this rig. Update the BIOS if you haven't already done so, leave the PCI-E set to "auto", lock the PCI to 33 MHz, and bump up the N/B (chipset) voltage from 1.5v to 1.65v.

BIOS is updated... my northbridge is at 1.6v... I can't go any higher... and if i set pci-e to auto... my hard drive won't read... guess the pci-e and s-ata are linked.....???? I can't find another mobo that would allow me to use all my same peripherals, and overclock decently... will take suggestions... I upgraded to this one just so i could overclock at all!

Unfortunatly, if you are looking for high overclocks you need a 925xe or higher chipset. Like you said, you would not be able to do that unless you purchased some DDR2 ram.

good news... I topped 3.4 ghz!!!! I'm so happy, 3.4 is what i wanted when I started. I loosened my ram timings as they were a little tight at 2.5,5,5,15.... and pushed the fsb up higher!!! here's my new specs....

CPU: 3404.2mhz
CPU Voltage: 1.525 bios, 1.630 cpu-z
Bus speed: 972.7mhz
Mem: 3,4,4,8
Mem Freq: 243.2 mhz
Mem Voltage: 2.8v
pci-e locked to 100
pci locked at 33.33

my avg. ram bandwidth went from 2652.95 to 3068.99!!!

went from a 19 to a 22% O/C!!!

tell me what you think....

i got my radiator fan running at 1250rpm set. I could turn it up and run lots cooler, but then i would hear it. guess ures runs so much cooler cause of the custom paint job! that 462 Northwood is GOING to run alot cooler than my Preshot.. i mean cott.. core. my full load temp is only 46 degrees.

Honestly your temps are absolutely fine. Prescott's were made to run hot, they love heat! haha.

As long as you keep that thing under 60c you have nothing to worry about =) Nice overclock bud, good job!

Back