• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how well do you guys think this will oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exactopposite

how well do you guys think this will oc? (celeron d340)

http://tinyurl.com/9qrnx

i've already decided to get the barebones kit in the link posted above. the price is right and my main purpose for this machine is to experiment with linux. i'm not trying to do a lot of heavy work on this, and since i don't play games, the onboard video will be fine for me. the hd i plan on using is an 80 gig wd caviar, i'm getting a really good deal on one.

that being said, the success of this project doesn't depend on getting a good (or any) overclock, but of course if i can oc it i definitely want to. i can't find much info on this motherboard, so i figured i'd ask here and see if any of you guys have any predictions as to how well this will clock. from what i have read the celery should be a good overclocker, but i'm not sure abut the board. also a friend of mine has a 2.4 ghz pentium that he isn't using so if this board can overclock we'll try them both and see what we can come up with.

i was gonna get a different machine which was a socket A sempron 2400 before i saw this one, (this one is cheaper after rebate) so even without an overclock this will already be a much stronger system than what i thought i was going to have for this project.

anyway, all info is welcomed regarding overclocking in general and particularlly with this setup. i haven't overclocked anything in a long time because we've been using a dell (long story, but it was free). either way i'll be back (probablly later this week) with info on how things go.

Last edited:
Very little if any Overclock can be expected. The mothernoard uses a via chipset. As I and most here do recommend to stay with a intel chipset.

You can not put that together for $140 by yourself but if there was no rebate I would not go with that setup.

Not sure if that mobo allows overclocking, a lot of mATX boards don't. Of the regular mobos, MSI usually has some O/C options. Not sure about that chipset though. They generally are not the best overclockers, but will do a modest one. Those Celeron D's will often do 3.8 gig with extra voltage and good cooling, although if this will be with a stock cooler and default vcore, then expect more like 3.4 gig.

yeah i know it's not an ideal setup for overclocking. it's what i can get right now tho. i can't beat it for the price (after reabate) tho. it's stil a lot better than the sempron 2400 i was about to get (whcih also had a via chipset).

if things go well with my new job i'll get a different motheboard later.

Back