• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning out 3 pin mobo fan headers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ilikepie

This is probably a noobish question. Im planning on getting 2 of these fans to replace the antec tri cools. On the svc site it says not to plug them on the mobo because it may burn out the headers. Is this true and should i buy a fan controller for them?

Those Panaflo's are rated at 4+ watts, whereas the safe limit on mainboard headers commonly is 3W. So don't do it. :)

I've burned up more mobo fan headers than I care to remember, so nowdays, all my fans are powered through a fanbus or controller. As I really don't get too picky about monitoring RPMs, this is the best solution.

Yeah I don't use molexs for my fans anymore, or 3-pin headers. I've been watercooling so long and most HSFs nowadays draw more power than can be supplied through the fan headers on the motherboard anyway. I guess if you get anal about wanting to be able to read the rpms of the fans you can just get a fan controller w/ rpm monitoring, but I personally never saw the point to that either.

Its never a good idea to run 92mm or larger fans off a mobo header. If you need to monitor the fan RPMs then use an adapter which splits off the sensor wire.

millhouse said:
you wont be dissapointed. www.jab-tech.com = $9.95 i think

Yes, but....Xoxide.com is doing a sale on all sunbeam products so you may be able to find it there cheaper if they stock it. I have 2 of that fan controller like I said and I couldn't be happier. If I made something similar myself parts alone would be $5 more than the 10 you pay for the sunbeam and it wouldn't look near as good!

Yeah its 9.95 @ jab-tech, and 12.74 @ xoxide. Either way theyre both awesome deals.

edit: man, there sure is a whole lot of stuff on sale at xoxide.

Back