• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI's Next Generation Telescope Array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Ulli

Executive: "We must confess that your proposal seems less like science and more like science fiction."

Ellie Arroway: Science fiction. You're right, it's crazy. In fact, it's even worse than that, it's nuts. You wanna hear something really nutty? I heard of a couple guys who wanna build something called an airplane, you know you get people to go in, and fly around like birds, it's ridiculous, right?

And what about breaking the sound barrier, or rockets to the moon? Atomic energy, or a mission to Mars? Science fiction, right? Look, all I'm asking is for you to just have the tiniest bit of vision. You know, to just sit back for one minute and look at the big picture. To take a chance on something that just might end up being the most profoundly impactful moment for humanity, for the history ... of history.

With these words Dr. Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster), in the movie "Contact," described the essence of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, possibly one of the most important efforts ever made by the human race to increase our knowledge of the universe.

Is this really science fiction?

OhmyNews interviewed Dr. Peter Backus, Observing Programs Manager in the Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute, located in Mountain View, California, earlier this week by email.

Full Story

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?article_class=10&no=261141&rel_no=1

Sir Ulli winkw1.gif

The best thing about that line, Was that it was written by Carl Sagan! ( whom will have been dead for 9 years, on the 20th of december ).

Very typical of Carl to say stuff like that ( even if he didn't say it with his own mouth, it was his own words ) to get people to think.

And Sagan was always pushing the advancements in looking for ET's. To find other life out there. Because in his eyes, he was 100% positive that there is other life outside of our own planet.

Untill we understand it, everything is science fiction.

look to the past, anything that we didn't know, we said was fiction, couldn't be done, or was an act of a higher being.

The search for ET will always be science fiction, untill we find it. But i believe one day we will find and communicate with ET. To me, its a matter of time, not a matter of if its possible.

Thanks for the constant Sources of info you find and give us Sir Ulli. We all appreceate the work you do to keep us updated on all the scientific facts that you find.

Thank you man.

for another Carl Sagan Fan, a spezial quote

pbd.jpg

Reflections on a Mote of Dust

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that Astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

Carl Sagan

Sir Ulli

Back