• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable Pat = More OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Disabling PAT would only help if the northbridge or memory couldn't handle having PAT enabled. PAT doesn't have anything to do with the CPU itself, it's a timing/latency thing with the northbridge/memory.

I agree with Know Nuttin. The Processor isn't really effected by PAT, and the Northbridge and RAM shouldn't have a problem running it. It isn't known that overclocks are increased by turning off PAT. Typically people try different PAT settings to get the best performance, they never turn it off.

Hyper-Threading on the other hand is known to limit your clock speed. I've seen people say that they gained 100mhz+ from turning off HT, but I would never recommend doing that. HT makes things so smooth, you don't want to give that up, even if you do gain upwards of 100mhz.

I thought it would help the OC, kind of like disabling AGP option, where the info from the agp bus goes right to the NB. I did get a higher OC w/ that option off, guess its not the same w/ vidcards / CPUs.

Again, it depends on what is the issue hindering the overclock. It is possible that having PAT disabled will allow for a higher FSB if the northbridge/memory are being strained by having it enabled.

You also must make certain, when determining whether to disable PAT or not, if the CPU just simply will not go any higher in clock speed and is at its ceiling.

In the grand scheme of things, PAT is one small part that may or may not be blocking a higher overclock. Same goes for memory timings, voltages, etc. It's all to be tested under the environment in which the overclock is taking place.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I thought it would help the OC, kind of like disabling AGP option, where the info from the agp bus goes right to the NB. I did get a higher OC w/ that option off, guess its not the same w/ vidcards / CPUs.

What AGP option?

If Disabling PAT allows a higher overclock, then the NB or RAM was limiting the overclock in the first place. And to be honest, I can't imagine PAT limiting your overclock, maybe you could clock your RAM slightly higher, but I doubt you would see any significant overclock become stable when it once wasn't because of PAT.

Back