• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Gentoo system crashed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocZer

Norway - subzero watercooling in winter :D
:(
Gentoo crashed today, for some strange reason. I was starting a video clip and the system hanged. Had to hit the reset button. Apparantly there where some corrupt files. And now ALSA will not load. It says somthing about missing files, but I don't know how to find which files I'm missing. Or at least I think it is ALSA. It might be envy24 module (snd-ice1712). Reinstalling gentoo is BIG PAIN.. It took me 2 days to do a stage 1 install the last time. Hope it does not come to that

ocZer said:
:(
Gentoo crashed today, for some strange reason. I was starting a video clip and the system hanged. Had to hit the reset button. Apparantly there where some corrupt files. And now ALSA will not load. It says somthing about missing files, but I don't know how to find which files I'm missing. Or at least I think it is ALSA. It might be envy24 module (snd-ice1712). Reinstalling gentoo is BIG PAIN.. It took me 2 days to do a stage 1 install the last time. Hope it does not come to that
Short of filesystem corruption (or deleting everything), you should never have to re-install gentoo. I once accidently removed glibc (please don't ask, I have no idea how it happened). Nothing would run. I used a live cd to download a tarall of it online and install it. Then I re-booted and emerged it once again with my working system. I have re-installed since then, but only because Reiser4 ate my filesystem.

Look in your log files. What is the error, exactly? Have you tried re-compiling alsa? Do you use the in-kernel modules or do you have alsa-driver installed? We need more information to figure out what the probem is.

Don't know exactly what happened but I recompiled my kernel to use the soundstorm on my mobo instead, and that fixed it. I was going to take out that soundcard anyway, just never got around to it. The nforce audio works a lot better in linux anyway. Going to use the other one on my win pc, at least now I get EAX in games. When it comes to reinstalling Gentoo, it might just be easier than to fix the problem sometimes, as it can be really difficult to find where the problem is sometimes.

Back