• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me overclock my 81GX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JakeKlem

Registered
I have a Gigabyte GA-81Gx mobo I would like to overclock, it seems to be pretty OC friendly. I have never overclocked my computer before so I lack experience, but I have watched my brother do it many times so its not really new to me (if you know what i mean).
The motherboard came with EasyTune 4, it seems like its pretty easy to use, but would it be better to just OC through the bios? or does it not make a difference?
thanks in advance

hey thanks for the welcome
right now i have
P4 2.2
81GX mobo
did have 786Mb pc 2700 (max supported on mobo is PC2100) my brother took out his 512 so i only have 256 right now :(
ATI 9800 pro AIW (also bottlenecked by mobo at 4x :( :( )
antec psu 330w (came with case)
all packed into an antec case

alright I overclocked using the bios, heres the process I used to test my results:
OC in bios, let windows startup, run easytune4(only for monitoring purposes), run diablo2 in window (to keep cpu at 100%), run winamp and play songs(to check sound continuity), reboot and start over

heres what happened:
OC sys bus up to 105mhz (100 default), but windows would freeze up either during loading or when it was starting my programs that startup when windows does.
I figured it was freezing because there was not enough power (is this right? remember my psu is 330W) so I unplugged my slave HD which seemed to solve the problem.
After that was solved, I stepped the sys bus up and once it got to 107 my sound (onboard) will skip. Right now its running with no problems at 106 (running 45 deg. C with cpu at 100%) with the slave HD unplugged.
so my questions are:
to allow me to OC over 106 with no problems, I have to go in the bios and up the cpu voltage right?
and in order for me to have my slave HD plugged in while OC Im gonna need a new psu or unplug something else (maybe fans) right?

Last edited:
Back