• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I upgraded my nvidia driver, now X is messed up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I decided to upgrade from the 1.0-7676 Nvidia display driver to the 1.0-8178 driver. I had upgraded gcc so I had to recompile the kernel, so I decided that I may as well upgrade it at the same time. I switched to 2.6.15-rc6 with no problems. I then installed the new nvidia driver after patching it with the first patch in this thread.
When I started X again, my dpi resolution was messed up. I had just gotten it setup a couple hours earlier to how it should be. It changed my screen size to 1161x423 millimeters; my old setting was 726x272. My old dpi came out to be 112x112, whereas now I'm running 70x72. The fonts are now smaller than I would want them and they aren't very clear. I was able to change it to get 113x115, but that is still not were it should be.

I have messed around with the DisplaySize setting in the config file but I can't get it to where it should be.
Does anyone have any ideas to get it back to how it should be?
I'm running Slackware 10.2 and X.org 6.8.2.
I've attached my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Attachments

• xorg.conf.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 43
Add the following two lines to your xorg.conf under the video card section
Code:
 Option "UseEdidDpi"  "FALSE"
    Option "DPI" "101x101"

so that it looks like this:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My GeForce"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    #Driver      "nv"
    Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option  "NoLogo" "1"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    Option "UseEdidDpi"  "FALSE"
    Option "DPI" "101x101"

Just change out the setting under the dpi line to what you want.

SatanSkin said:
Add the following two lines to your xorg.conf under the video card section...
so that it looks like this:...
Just change out the setting under the dpi line to what you want.
That would make the dpi setting the same no matter the resolution, which isn't what I was wanting. If I wanted to do that, I would just specify the dpi when starting X with startx -- -dpi 112.
Thanks for the idea though.

the newest nvidia drivers are pretty buggy and not fully functional yet, for instance, when i upgraded to 1.0.8178 i lost xinerama support for dual monitors, i ended up reverting to the latest 1.0.7*** driver

8178 is working great for me...xcomposite works correctly now and my dual monitor setup is still working just fine.

damn..... mine don't, when i tried to upgrade to that driver my dual monitors stopped working.... any of the 8*** drivers actually

I just switched back to the 8178 driver. I set the option "UseEdidDpi" "False" and it went to 111x112. That's all I could get after I messed up my original config that let me use 112x112 without having to force the resolution.
OSGentoo, my dual monitors are working fine as well. Not sure why your setup would quit working.

Back