• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for some fun :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayme

Registered
A little insight?

I just got a new motherboard and cpu but they're not quite as good as i expected them to be.. i did have a pretty low budget so i should have guessed but now i can overclock at least.. I would just like to know if this motherboard and cpu would even be worth overclocking or if i would kill them if i tried. I have 3 fans all about 2 and a half inches length and height.

motherboard
CPU

Heres whats going on with my cpu at the moment.

cpu4ml.jpg

If this "rig" isn't good to oc then ill let you know what my last one is since i won't be using that one anymore anyways. I also heard intel was better for overclocking than AMD

EDIT: Was getting 69*C max till i relized the heatsink over the cpu wasn't completely pressed down, now getting 32*C max and mobo is 34*C max.

Last edited:
Ok, i overclocked my cpu by 10% so now its running at 2.94 and theres no difference in temperature. Would this mean i have a lot more flexibility than i thought, or that theres other problems than just heat? Does the heat problems come once i overclock into the 3.2's or higher?

Alright, so i tried overclocking 30% and once exiting the bios, the system wouldnt start up anymore.. so i reset cmos, tried 20%.. worked until it got to the user logon in windows and it wouldnt login, i could move the mouse and all that junk but nothing would happen. I figured it had something to do with my system since last windows install since before switching cpu's it would take almost 5 minutes just to login. I just finished reinstalling windows so after steam is finished updating cs:s i'm going to reset, overclock, test out how the game works. Oh and it might just be my drivers, but i get lag when i run at 1240x1024 on the desktop.. sad. Lastly, does anyone know if going from 2.66 to 3.2 will even make a big enough jump to even be worth it?

LoL using AI booster as a overclock tool is just plain foolish.

AI Booster just adjust clockspeed and nothing else... It takes bios tuning to enable higher overclocks.

Nice start though, but your going to have to do it the rest of the way.

im trying to figure out how to do it the rest of the way but the only places i can see that would help me is the ai booster ****. I can find a cpu volt and temp area but i cant change anything there.. is there any tools for guis?

those 3.06s run at 4.0ghz easily with good air cooling. You prob want to start by never using that auto overclocking stuff ever again.

Set the bios to manual and set the "vcore" or "Cpu voltage" whatever Asus calls it, to 1.4volts. Then slowly increase the fsb until you encounter stability issues. If temps are still well under 60c, increase the vcore by a notch and again continue to increase fsb.

You should read the stability testing thread and use Prime95 and Super Pi 32M to test for stability.

since theres no way to change the vcore and **** in the bios i would have to do it by changing some parts on the motherboard physically, some little buttons for example.

jayme said:
since theres no way to change the vcore and **** in the bios i would have to do it by changing some parts on the motherboard physically, some little buttons for example.

Lol little buttons on the motherboard..........Look buddy if your going to OC your processor, then listen to what we have to say.

Go into the bios and under 'JumperFree Configuration' set to manual. From there you will raise the FSB in maybe 3-5mhz increments untill you encounter stability issues. Test stability with Prime95, which is detailed in the stickies section.

First off, :welcome: to the oc forums

Next these guys know what their talking about. I suggest you read the manual very thoroughly and google whatever terms you dont understand. Or if its getting over your head just stop. Im not being mean, some people just dont get it.

listen, i said theres no fsb or voltage settings in my bios under jumperfree, i've tried changing to manual and ive tried ****ing around with it but theres no voltage or fsb adjustments. I was asking if there was anyway to do it through the motherboard because i read about it on a site i found on google.

The Vcore and FSB setting are SOMEWHERE in the bios, you need to find it. Basically to get higher clocks you need to raise the FSB, but when you start getting stability issues you need to bring the Vcore up, this is the tricky part because raising the Vcore increases your temps and thats when you have to be careful.

here's a nice thread by one of our mod's, larva:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=422137&highlight=506

he used an abit mobo, but you should be able to try for similar results. 200fsb*20multi=4000mhz. shouldn't be too tuff with decent air cooling.

*edit* and i think what you are referring to when you say "buttons" are jumpers on the mobo. i didn't think asus still used jumpers to select the fsb on any motherboards anymore, but indeed that's the way it used to be done. when setting in the bios "jumper free" you are basically telling it to pull those valuse outta whatever you set in the bios. i would think that you should try to update your bios if you do not have those settings, or maybe someone with experience on that board will stumble in here.

jayme said:
listen, i said theres no fsb or voltage settings in my bios under jumperfree, i've tried changing to manual and ive tried ****ing around with it but theres no voltage or fsb adjustments. I was asking if there was anyway to do it through the motherboard because i read about it on a site i found on google.
We are listening, and we know what you said. But it's simply wrong. There are only four settings under jumperfree on your board, and the second one is incorrectly labled CPU speed but is indeed the FSB. Pretty obviously you must set the first setting to manual if you wish to specify the FSB in the second. This is all spelled out in your choice of languages in the Asus motherboard manual, which is the only reason I know this. Please feel free to review it for yourself.

The Vcore is not as obvious. Apparantly the only way to influence the Vcore is to change the "VID Cmos Setting" field in the CPU configuration menu. I don't know exactly what to put there; I'd recommend trying the different values and then looking at the voltage monitoring in the bios until you understand what value gives what voltage, and what the limits are. You usually need 1.46-1.48V to get a P4 506 to 4GHz.

As far as the suitablity of the motherboard, it's not very good for overclocking. While Asus makes great motherboards, Via makes terrible chipsets--and this one uses a Via chipset. The painful thing is it costs as much as one of the best boards for running a P4 506, the AG8-V Abit. The AG8 series uses the Intel 915p chipset, which is not the best overclocker itself, but is a real chipset. Fortunately the 506 only needs 200fsb to run 4GHz, so any of these boards themselves are not actually "OCed" when running the 506 at a very-OCed 4GHz. In theory your Via board should be able to run this chip at 4GHz also, but you may find limitations to its OCing options or just its basic stability that prevent it from getting anywhere near the potential of the cpu.

Hey there jayme, welcome to the forums. By far the best place to be for advice and research on anything to do with a computer!!!

I just built a system with that exact motherboard for a Christmas present for my daughter and it does have overclocking capabilities. The first thing you have to do is enable it by choosing "Manual" in the advanced options, when you select the manual setting you'll be able to adjust FSB settings and your Vcore settings. Give it a try and if you have any other problems just nicely ask for some advice and plenty of good people here will surely help you out. Good luck.

Im at a friends house, but what i remember seeing when i changed the jumperfree setting to manual there were 2 items that were adjustable. FSB, i think.. which was able to be set between 100-400 (that would change the clock speed apparently). The second item that showed up was an AGP/PCI latency speed or something which could be set to 3 different values, 66.6/33.3, 88.8/44.4.. etc, cant remember exactly. Those were the only 2 adjustable values when i change the jumperfree seting to manual. Maybe i'll just record a video of it for proof, ill go through my whole bios or something..

edit: im being as nice as i can, its getting a little bit frustrating when people are telling me to change all these settings they are so sure i have, when they are not there. I don't know what else to say, theres no other settings than the 2 i pointed out above.. i will be able to be more detailed later tonight once i get my computer over here.

jayme said:
Im at a friends house, but what i remember seeing when i changed the jumperfree setting to manual there were 2 items that were adjustable. FSB, i think.. which was able to be set between 100-400 (that would change the clock speed apparently). The second item that showed up was an AGP/PCI latency speed or something which could be set to 3 different values, 66.6/33.3, 88.8/44.4.. etc, cant remember exactly. Those were the only 2 adjustable values when i change the jumperfree seting to manual. Maybe i'll just record a video of it for proof, ill go through my whole bios or something..
Or you could try reading my post above, where I tell you where the cpu voltage settings are! We are sincerely trying to help, but we can't read the motherboard manual for you, look at the monitor for you, push the keys from here, or read the answers supplied for you.

larva said:
Or you could try reading my post above, where I tell you where the cpu voltage settings are! We are sincerely trying to help, but we can't read the motherboard manual for you, look at the monitor for you, push the keys from here, or read the answers supplied for you.

wow... i dont know how else to tell you that theres no other settings i can change that have to do with voltage. Im just going to stop trying to get answers because you obviously have no clue what your talking about when it comes to this motherboard.

well dylskee up there ^^ gave you first hand experience with that board. if you don't want help, then don't post asking for it??

I do want help, its just not here. I spent an hour in the bios yesterday searching for anything to do with "core", "vcore", "voltage", "FSB" and a few more words, only thing that i found that i could change on volts is wether the motherboard would record the temp. CPU config had settings like hyper threading, CPUID limiting, and about 4 other settings with "enabled"/"disabled" settings. The vcore stuff dylskee talks about above aren't there for me, i cant tell you that the settings aren't there or you disagree with me, i cant say that you helped me because nothing has changed, i dont know what you want me to say to you :S

larva said:
The Vcore is not as obvious. Apparantly the only way to influence the Vcore is to change the "VID Cmos Setting" field in the CPU configuration menu. I don't know exactly what to put there; I'd recommend trying the different values and then looking at the voltage monitoring in the bios until you understand what value gives what voltage, and what the limits are. You usually need 1.46-1.48V to get a P4 506 to 4GHz.

larva already gave you that answer. just because it isn't called something obvious like "VCORE" doesn't mean it isn't there.

you said you were at a friends house, maybe you should be sitting in front of your rig while trying to digest our advice?

Back