• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA 7800 GTX Temperature Under Load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I am a noobie on these forums guys so hopefully I can get some help.
My rig consists of:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (1009 Bios) Mobo
2 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200
Aspire 550 Watt Power Supply <---- Suprisingly Rocks!!
Athlon X2 4800+ clocked in at 2.5 Ghz each core
Serial ATA II WD Caviar 250 MB <------Dead on Arrival
-------Currently using WD Caviar Ultra DMA133 - 120 MB
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX w/256mb

I tried playing COD2 on maximum graphics and about 15 minutes into the game the card started distorting the image. I immediately shut the game down and checked GPU temperature. I am at 65 to 68 degrees C.
Is that too high for a 7800GTX gpu under load? By the way, this happened when I overclocked the GPU core speed to 490 and the GPU Memory to 1300.
Please note: Stock core = 470, Stock Memory = 1200

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are my temps normal or too high?

Dom

Rattle said:
Those temps are normal for stock cooling.

Welcome to the forums and Happy X-mas

Thanks for the response and welcome. I have been a little nervous thinking my card overheats and I need to RMA it.

Thanks for the relief. lol :santa:

Dom

Temps were probably around 80C under load. The tearing is from clocking the card to high with the heat combined. Most 7800 cards it seems start to artifcact around 490 with stock cooling.

Try clocking it down to 480, and see if that helps.

i have an evga 7800gtx 256 too, but stock settings are 450/1200?
anyway 68 sounds a little high.. even for a 20mhz oc..
mine stays around 45-50c, and even when i play a bunch of cod2/quake4 i've never seen it go above 55c

oh .. heh okay ill go check
...do you guys really get 70c+ temps..?
whats "bad" temperature wise for graphics cards? 75c+ ?

siresword said:
oh .. heh okay ill go check
...do you guys really get 70c+ temps..?
whats "bad" temperature wise for graphics cards? 75c+ ?
on stock cooling yes
personally, i wouldnt want it to go above 50
mine doesnt go above 38 :)

7800gtx's are known to hit 75C easily.

I never use stock cooling

With the air cooling solution i have with max overclock I rarely go above 55C

that being said 75C is probably safe since the cuttoff on these cards is 115C

There's nothing wrong with running in 70's but 60's would be nice.

Buy a zalman copper vga coooler...

My card was getting artifacts with the stock cooler at stock speeds. Came at 450/1200 and a POS aluminum heatsink. Now with a maze4 and copper ramsinks I have had it up to 530/1350 so far now with no artifacts after playing farcry on full res for a like 2 hours. But it was hitting at least 80c under full load with stock cooling, I turned all the settings on low cuz I didn't want to fry a brand new 460$ vid card.

Biznatch said:
My card was getting artifacts with the stock cooler at stock speeds. Came at 450/1200 and a POS aluminum heatsink. Now with a maze4 and copper ramsinks I have had it up to 530/1350 so far now with no artifacts after playing farcry on full res for a like 2 hours. But it was hitting at least 80c under full load with stock cooling, I turned all the settings on low cuz I didn't want to fry a brand new 460$ vid card.

what are you hitting now temps wise?

The warmest I've seen my XFX GTX's is 35c@490/1300, and that's with NV78's slapped on them. I had a BFG 6800GT that would start to act stupid at 52c and above on air. The funny thing was that after RMAing it, the new card acted pretty much the same way.

35c at idle maybe. if you run rivatuner you can set the fans to run at 100% all the time. my card is the evga with the copper heatsink and i hit 65c at 496/1130. idle temp fluctuate between 45c-46c so i doubt you are seeing 35c maybe at idle but not at load

liftedcj7on44s said:
35c at idle maybe. if you run rivatuner you can set the fans to run at 100% all the time. my card is the evga with the copper heatsink and i hit 65c at 496/1130. idle temp fluctuate between 45c-46c so i doubt you are seeing 35c maybe at idle but not at load

:) So I'm lying? You might have done yourself a favor by looking at my sig BEFORE you responded. Reading what I posted with comprehesion would have been nice too.

Back