• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking about trying out americas army

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

furiousfords89

i have been playing bf2 since the demo was first released and now, 8 months later, i feel the need to try something new and different

so for those who play this game, how is it, and how do you think it would compare to bf2?

thanks

Last edited:
AA takes a completely different mindset than the one used in BF2. Its much slower paced, requiring skill, teamwork, and patience. That being said, it is a extremely fun game once you get adjusted to it. If you can get past the learning curve it is very rewarding and a good change of pace from BF2.

AA is fun, but it has a learning curve, especially when you get to advanced markmanship (sniping). I don't get far tho, because i always get general protection faults. Hope you don't get the same problem.

also, what is the maximum number of players allowed on a server?
and do i have the ability to talk to others with my headset in the game?
thanks

I believe servers support up to 64 players, and in game voice chat is supporrted.

Advanced marksmanship isn't that hard :p. I passed it on my second try, and I am t3h SUCK @ video games.

Only thing I don't like is how the accuracy of the weapons seems somewhat random...

otherwise, fun gamee :)

I belive the max number of players on an AA server is 64, however you will never see more than 24 or so on. Also, there is no built in VoIP functionality.

Drat, your right on the VOIP. Just reinstalled it(and patching now) and discovered that lack :p. Ah well, find a teamspeak server ;)

aww nuts, i guess the free ride ends at bf2 when it comes to voice chat :bang head lol

i guess ill get teamspeak or vent soon then

I stopped playing a long time ago. It's fun but kind of gets boring after a while. Although it is nice when they add new maps and stuff. Hopefully the totally new version based on the Unreal Engine 3 will be out before too long.

I got sick of how the devs promised features and then kept pushing them off saying "oh it'll definitely be in the next version." I mean, it's a free game so I shouldn't comlain, but there are certain issues which the devs always put off. I've also noticed that each new version had horrible lag issues for the first few days/weeks. Actually, in general the game used to have lag problems which were hit or miss. Dunno if they fixed it.

Some traditional gaming conventions don't apply to AA so it can be a much different change of pace. For instance, don't plan on bunny hoping or even sprinting very far, gunning while running, etc. And weapons accuracy is affected by so many factors you'll think you're playing a game of DnD with 20 sided dice. It's not just your stance and what weapon you are using, but also your fatigue, your health level, whether or not you're bleeding, whether you are using the weapon you spawned with, whether or not you have your squad leader next to you(snipers get boosts if they have the leader/spotter next to them), and several other factors.

Another thing is frags, rpgs, etc. Most games have a pathetic blast radius for explosives. In AA, there is shrapnel. So you can stand next to a nade and maybe live, but be standing literally 30 feet away, and get ***-****ed by a stray piece of shrapnel. It's completely random, sort of like in real life. So if you see a nade, go prone or get behind a wall. Running won't save you.

Another big thing is that everyone spawns once during a round. While this is no different than games like CS, AA has a much slower pace, which combined with the fact that most people like to camp if their team is dead, makes for excruciatingly long waits between rounds if you are dead. Objective time limits are like 5 or 10 minutes as opposed to 2 or 3 in most CS servers.

Oh, and cheating is pretty rampant in AA(or at least it was). Punkbuster doesn't work nearly as well in AA as it should. so many aimbots its rediculous. It's not like in other games where people are just so good that they get instant beads on your head, and you "think" they are cheating. The nature of AAs aiming and accuracy system makes it hard to run and gun and get headshots left and right. You can't take on 6 guys surrounding you like you can in BF2 or CS. So when someone drops everyone they run across left and right, you know something is up.

furiousfords89 said:
aww nuts, i guess the free ride ends at bf2 when it comes to voice chat :bang head lol

i guess ill get teamspeak or vent soon then

teamspeak is free...

never used vent so i dunno bout that...

well i played it and i think the game is WAYYYYYYYYYY to slow for my tastes, i almost fell asleep while playing online, rofl :shrug:

this game isnt meant for me i guess

Last edited:
I think this is a game for a certain type of player. I enjoyed it. And you cant beat the price. I wish I could pass that stupid marksmanship thing for sniper. I tried for days and days with no luck. My biggest gripe was it was always too hard to me to tell friend or foe relatively quick.

Back