• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB ddr upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ginigwunkle

Registered
hi, (im new)

and im also looking to upgrade my current corsair value 1GB(2x512mb) to either 1GB as my current has developed errors.

its current timings are 3-3-3-8

ive been looking at ocz platinum range and geil ultra-x

im looking in the price range 100-150(1GB)

any comments / reccomenations are much appreciated from you all

:santa2:

PS:
also looking to upgrade mobo to a dfi soon (dont know if that makes a difference to choices)

This is only initial testing, but for $140 I think the G.Skill GH sticks are stellar sticks. :)

DSC00573.sized.jpg

moretesting.jpg

ginigwunkle said:
hi, (im new)

and im also looking to upgrade my current corsair value 1GB(2x512mb) to either 1GB as my current has developed errors.

its current timings are 3-3-3-8

ive been looking at ocz platinum range and geil ultra-x

im looking in the price range 100-150(1GB)

any comments / reccomenations are much appreciated from you all

:santa2:

PS:
also looking to upgrade mobo to a dfi soon (dont know if that makes a difference to choices)
First off, welcome! :welcome:

Getting a DFI does make a difference when it comes to what RAM you can use. With a DFI you can use UTT which requires higher voltages. I am not sure what is available in the uk but I can give some suggestions.

TCCD
OCZ Plat Elite Edition (OCZ flagship TCCD)
GSkill FF/LE/LA
OCZ Plat 4800EL
OCZ 3200 Plat rev 2 (cheaper option)

UTT-BH
OCZ Gold 3200
GSkill GBH

UTT-CH
Mushkin Redline 4000
OCZ 4000VX

Dont know much about Geil, never owned any.

Geil One S and W are some of the best TCCD/UTT out there.

also, finding VX or Redlines these days...not gonna happen. both companies no longer make that product.

and you forgot gskills FX, its like 150 and usually hit ddr600 2.5-4-3.

is there any advantages / disadvantages in the tccd or uut memory.
also which would you choose?

ginigwunkle said:

Main advantage of TCCD is it hits very high mhz (some ddr600+), at around 2.5-3-3 with really low volts. Like 2.7-2.9v....

Cons of TCCD are the looser timings

Advantages of utt/bh5 is it hits pretty high mhz (around 240-265mhz) and very tight timings. Good sticks hit ddr500 2-2-2-5 with around 3.3-3.5v.

Cons of utt/bh5 is the fact it takes soooo many volts to get max performance. Thus you'll need to cool them actively with a fan making more noise.

ginigwunkle said:
Do a search for that, people have been arguing about tccd vs utt for years.

Making a long story short, both will perform similarly in the end, and there are pros/cons for both.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/G_Skill.html

If you're willing to stretch budget slightly, then go for the 2gig kit - it's £158 inc VAT

G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200

2048MB kit (2x1GB) dual channel pack Cas 2.0 and lifetime warrantee

For your money it's a pretty good option.

Look around rest of site too, check weekly deals etc.

2gig seems to be what people are buying now - it does however depend on what you need from this ram, as i'm not sure on how these dimms scale.

Back