• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eagle's Home Brew Domain Development Build & Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont know why ill share these random pics. It was planned as a log tho.
Tore down the NAS box as the hardware inside was thought as to be the PFSense NAT router.
So took what i learned from the Gigabyte Aurous I5 11600K build and also the internal Fiber Adapters transition them onto the Biostar.

Heres some pics.

This is what the NAS box looked like when i opened it up.

20220622_142635.jpg

Oh wait thats my broken leg. hahaha. ;)

I decided on using a different chassis repurposed i had here. Cleaned it up alittle.

20220622_141758-empty chassis-nas2router.jpg

Here i moved the hardware over to the chassis including the network adapters

20220622_173849-rebuilt.jpg

I had to remove the low profile mounting brackets for the network adapters and one of them i didnt have the correct bracket. needed rigged a bit rough.

20220622_174214-uefi-bios-screen.jpg

It wasnt long i soon learned that the psu installed had a bad interanl 120mm fan. it was pulsing/throbbing so i opened it up and changed out the psu internal fan.
Also, id like to say i got confused with losing the logical transition process. Imported the incorrect saved config.xml file and lost track of which interface should be assigned where.

Up and running now tho and got disks left from what was the NAS build.

20220622_145623-disks from old nas.jpg

aye!

Got alot of time attempting to understand IPv6 Router Advertisements. Spectrum is the ISP i have. Up until now i dont believe they have IT support for ipv6.
Ive worked with Hurricane Electric 4 to 6 tunnel. At this point they've assigned over a single tunnel a /64 block and a /48 block of ipv6 address.
Im using the /64 block on the wan interface and heres a snap shot from a windows machine behind the NAT device of ipv6 resolving.

ipv6-henet-nat-bridge-resolved-june25.jpg

So the problem gets deeper operating PFSense Router Advertisements from a bridge. And even more so with dhcp6 relay. Steep learning curve.
Post magically merged:

I have a build left here to complete. Disassemble the I7 Asrock Debian Webserver Build and convert it to I5 pcie 4.0 NAS.
First, i need to migrate some of the services to the new webserver in this rack.

20220625_155937.jpg

Theres still a webserver to rebuild in the DMZ Rack. Its gonna get a pcie 4.0 board for the Ryzen 3200G even tho the 3200G does not support pcie 4.0

20220625_155950.jpg

These are the arrivals i have remaining to work with. Not much missing except more memory. hahaha..

20220625_160013.jpg

Last edited:
Shuffling some files around here some initial graphs from a single 30 GB file download and then upload to a different server.
Screenshots are from windows 11 machine showing the network traffic.

Downloading was from each device connected at 10Gbp/s
The file Download was stored on a SATA3 connected IDE hdd 4TB Disk Drive
The Receiving storage device was a Nvme 4.0 pcie drive that also has windows 11 installed:

NVMe.4.0-Receive-SATA3-IDE-Send-NICs10Gbps.jpg

Heres a similar graphic of uploading the same file to whats the new server.
Both machines are connected at 10Gbp/s
Sending machine is transfering the file from a pcie 4.0 nvme storage device
Receiving machine is copying to a pcie 3.0 storage device.

Win11-NVMe.4.0-Send-Debian-NVMe.3.0-Receive-all-10Gbps.jpg

These are single devices using a single fiber cable. A 10Gb sfp+ switch is positioned inbetween.
These results are without using a LAGG interface and without using a RAID storage device.

And here ive repeated the same upload from windows 11
Sending machine is transfering the file from a pcie 4.0 nvme storage device
Receiving machine is copying to a pcie 3.0 storage device.

Win11-NVMe.4.0-Send-Debian-NVMe.3.0-Receive-all-10Gbps-2.jpg

I dont consistently see the speeds.

download7Gbps.jpg

10Gbps-windows11-pcie-4.0-windows11-pcie-3.0.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to rebuild what was my webserver in the public ipv4 address space.
What was built off a MSI Pro Series B350M PRO-VHD is now ASRock Pro B550M Pro4 based motherboad.

I removed some storage devices based SATA3 and added in the second nvme m.2 device
Wiped both the nvme boot device and the nvme backup device and did a fresh debian install.
Now the boot device isnt crypto locked requiring manually entering the key at boot time. I hope to try some power on by network tests again. "magic packet"

Heres some before and after photos:

20220628_101112.jpg

20220628_152124-1.jpg

I got to say this system took the most amount time outta the OS installations ive done.
I didnt configure any frequencies or power options in the bios except the 2666Mhz memory kit.
Processor is a Ryzen 3200G.
After building up the services ill remove the Desktop GUI from the OS.

Off on another tangent. My EVGA x299 build had a 1 TB boot drive. I use this system as my primary video playback machine and also as a secondary windows backup rig.
I have a large Steam game collection. The 1 TB of storage space didnt seem enough to my liking as some Steam titles take up alot of space.
Eventually i doubled the 1 TB drive with a similar 2 TB nvme 3.0 SSD. Imaging this OS was taking a huge amount of time as the image was stored on a SATA3 HDD
So, today i was able to install a second nvme drive 2TB and imaging the OS took only 1.5 hours. Reducing the backup imaging time from what seemed like an 8 hour shift to 1.5 hours
Now im comfortable loading up the 2TB drive 75% capacity or more.

Heres some photos:

20220628_125328-1.jpg

20220628_125339.jpg

20220628_130251-1.jpg

20220628_133342.jpg

The Motherboard cover/shroud wasnt deep enough for the new nvme with its thicker heatsink.
In hindsight this cover looks like it would trap heat from the nvme drives.

Anyway, another happy upgrade.

Hey Guys and Gals, Ladies and Gentleman,
With the broken leg and other factors ive skipped the ole family 4th of July get together.
What would have been a long trip without my vehicle, on crutches and not in my own space at the last minute i canceled my holiday vacation trip.

So heres what i got left for the last build from the original plan of this thread

20220702_140222.jpg

Im still waiting on some deliveries. Also ill be shuffling some memory around eventually.
Im gonna start tearing down and rebuilding what will be my new Network Attached Storage box.
Ill post pics.
Have a safe and fun 4th of July everyone.

Okay heres before and after of whats now my Network Attached Storage Box.

20220702_223649-1-1.jpg

20220702_225933-1.jpg

20220702_230958-1-1.jpg

20220703_132429-1.jpg

20220703_124932-1.jpg

20220703_153341-1-1.jpg

Thats whats now my NAS Box. Gonna Install TrueNAS this evening and get a network address assigned to the system.

I gotta say that the PSU installed is not modular and at the last moment i noticed i was having a proplem connecting power to the SATA3 devices.
That was slow and clumsey a modular psu would have made it quick n easy.

Also a good trusty fine particle vacuum has proved its worth again and again.

Ill write up a conclusion to this build as im now above 85% of the original plan.
Tks guys. If you got any questions feel free.
And tks for dealing with my communication techniques.

Hey just posting here on whats up.
Im waiting to fix the issue of undetected m.2 drives on the ASUS Hyper Expansion Card.
Both in BIOS and Booted into TrueNAS only lists 1 of the 3 M.2 Drives.

Tks

On the surface it looks like someone has gained access to my server. they installed a malware script using port 22 outbound. possibly to deflect their own email spamming.

I somewhat understand NAT. Havent messed around with Port NAT tho

Last edited:
question... do you leave the ssh port open to the world?

Back