• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eagle's Home Brew Domain Development Build & Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What we got for a debug issue like this.

System begins to hang often. Cant seem to identify the problem.

20220812_092745-3.jpg

You can see the 5 volt rail is way low.

Id swear that this issue results in the system over heating after the fact.

I open up the chassis and inspect the 24 Pin and Dual 8 Pin wire supplying the MB.

20220812_093152-2.jpg

And wow , 5 volts return.
I dont know what to think of that.

So it seems somehow that bluetooth is no longer working in the OS.
Again, look around and do not notice anything. Windows Device Manager does not list a bluetooth module. Bluetooth is enabled on the MB.

A quick internet search said to try unplugging the 120 volt AC from the wall, hold the power button down and wait 30 seconds.

And wouldnt ya know it bluetooth is back on the next reboot.

What ya think, aged PSU?
The PSU MB Wiring has taken abuse?
Outta balance AC signal stuck in the system?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Glitch in the matrix... don't worry about it is my take, lol.

Software voltage readings are often inaccurate... I doubt anything 5V would have worked at 4.3V... that's well out of the 5% spec.. Not sure how LOW voltage means overheating..........physics has something to say about that :p. But seriously, likely a loose connection. I wouldn't sweat it unless it happens again.

Funny how powering off completely can fix things, eh? IT helpdesk can be right when they say 'did you reboot'? ha!

Worth noting, you can capture images of your BIOS with a USB stick and pressing F12 (I think that's what it is in asus). No more 1990s screencaps, lol! :p

it was a suggestion. You can run memtest and see if your ram is borked, as it seemed you had some issues 2 posts ago.

Last edited:
Here we can see some traffic while transfering large files

pfsenseaug122022-4-traffic.jpg

2 different devices transfering to the NAS box.
The storage array is 4 x 4Tb HDD spinners in Raid Z-Pool
Post magically merged:

it was a suggestion. You can run memtest and see if your ram is borked.

Im gonna try and get memorytest and gparted available by network boot.
problem i have now is the pcie network cards and getting them to boot to the network.

Here we can see some traffic while transfering large files

View attachment 358736

2 different devices transfering to the NAS box.
The storage array is 4 x 4Tb HDD spinners in Raid Z-Pool
Post magically merged:

Im gonna try and get memorytest and gparted available by network boot.
problem i have now is the pcie network cards and getting them to boot to the network.
i've never seen a board network boot from a pcie card, if you figure out a way lmk. I run a PXE server it's pretty handy, go from a blank ssd to booted into windows 10 in less than 5 minutes.

Still having some power delivery problems.

20220814_010457-1.jpg

Trying to adjust bios level load line calibration.
Suppling power now from the wall instead of the UPS backup.

Question remains on possible solutions.

Trying to adjust bios level load line calibration.
I don't imagine llc to help. You can't adjust llc of the psu rails in the first place. Llc pulls from the 12V for vcore. So if 3.3v rail is low..

No voltage read points on that board?

Solutions..... reseat all power connectors at both ends. Try another power supply... if the board says it's low again, the sensors may be off. Confirm sensor readings in windows with hwinfo...

What power supply??? Sig doesn't list one.

Last edited:
Tks

I got a new power supply in route.
An easy fix would be nice here.

Ill see if i can get to test the voltage points with a multi-meter on the MB. At some point.

Ill see if i can get to test the voltage points with a multi-meter on the MB. At some point.
I mean, if the mobo has read points, thst would be the sure fire way to know. A backup power supply isn't a bad thing anyway.

So, what power supply do you currently have?? What did you buy?

The power supply im using now is a 5+ year old xfx psu. The symptoms are similar, altho this is the first time i can visibly see low voltage, on three different AM4 builds.
My AM4 1600x i used on two different motherboards. Both seemed to overheat only in the bios, booting into windows and the temps were within range.
I could spend hours debugging the problem.
Also consistent usb errors including system instant power off plugging in a usb cable

The 3700x AM4 had similar stability issues. I was working so much i didnt have time to work the problem.

Now here this build with the 5900x was just running folding@home days in a row and again similar symptoms.

Its an xfx 750 full modular. i cant get the full specs without removing the psu. Ive used it since 2016 or something. ive tried to find a new oem cable kit with no luck.

55% off EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P5 80 Plus Platinum, is what i scooped up.

Iirc, usb uses 5VSB rail.

Overheating in the bios is odd. There's a slight load in the bios since no power savings is enabled and voltage constant..but never saw overheating in one.. yikes!

Evga P is a great choice.

USB keyboard is not working in Memory Test

Got pxelinux efi64 network booting
Also got pxelinux bios network booting

20220814_141221-1.jpg

Guessing i gotta further develop up pxelinux to get the keyboard working under memorytest.

Gonna just post some more pics in here of stuff.
Too bad I don't have it organized better.

hwinfo64-aug-18.jpg

220818171224.gif

220818171241.jpg

Ive installed a new psu in my amd system. here hwinfo has been running a couple hours and you can see the 5 volt rail of the mb didnt move from 5 volts.

This is the model of the PSU that was installed/replaced.

20220818_105520-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
USB keyboard is not working in Memory Test

Got pxelinux efi64 network booting
Also got pxelinux bios network booting

Guessing i gotta further develop up pxelinux to get the keyboard working under memorytest.
Did you get them booting from pcie cards or the onboard?

Using the AMD machine in my signature, i have network booting working from the pcie network expansion card. 10Gb Multi mode fiber optic.
The MB had options to allow pcie devices to network boot and in this case it worked.
Did you get them booting from pcie cards or the onboard?
Post magically merged:

While i was installing a SSD in my Intel Rig, 9940x in the signature, i also decided on internal usb 2.0 device.
I removed from a couple desktop towers i no longer have use for the external usb header.

20220819_071322-1-1.jpg

And here i installed it, pre installation later ill find a permanent spot.

20220819_085639-1-1.jpg

So now i have a usb thumb drive meant to stay with this build.
its internal so its not extruding the exterior surface area on the chassis.
Its formatted in fat32, ready to go in bios.

Last edited:
Back