• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only person sick of their WD raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Npetune3000

Its so loud and annoying. I'm on the of replacing it with a seagate drive. Too annoying to justify speed.

Plug a worn out 4GB drive from 1997 into your rig and run it for a few days. You will fall in love with the Raptor again. BTW, at work we have that very drive with 7-8 years of 24/7 use under its belt. It drives me insane, that's an understatement. It's louder than any hard drive i've EVER heard. The spindle whine is so loud that you can't hear seeks :bang head

Try putting some sound dampening material around the raptor. A lot of times the vibrations are amplified by the case and thats why it seems so loud. I know thats whats happening with mine, but I'm just too lazy to fix it. You could also try some rubber washers between the mounting cage and hdd.

Edit: When the new raptor comes out, you'll be sick of your old one instantly... <3 newness

Definitely try different methods of making it quieter. Maybe suspend it using rubber bands, or the rubber washer idea works well too.

But yeah, if you are really annoyed by the noise, then the extra load times provided by the Raptor may not be worth its noise.

I've got four 74G Raptors in my desktop and they are extremely quiet, except when seeking. Even the seeks aren't much louder then my four Seagate 7200.7s. Both the Raptors and 7200.7s are mounted in Antec Sonata cases with the included ruber washers.

What kind of noise are they making?

What firmware do yours have? Mine are all 27.08D27

I can hear my Raptor's seeks, but its spin noise is about as quiet as my Samsungs'... which are the quietest. I suspended all three drives in elastic (two bucks at wallyworld's sewing section) and it dramatically lessened both the spin and seek noise that is transmitted to the case. I'll only give up the Raptor when I can afford something faster...

Rubber washers work great, but what larva is suggesting is the way to go, IMHO. I currently lay my HDD down on 1/2" id tubing, but it's not locked down.

tom10167 said:
I'll give up my Raptor about as fast as I'd trade in my noisy Ferrari for a Camry.

There's a good analogy, can I have a ride in that Ferrari? :cool:

The 74 raptor i had was relativley quiet, not any louder than any other drive I have ever heard. I dont consider HDD "noise" at all anyway, its not like it wakes the neighbors, even the loudest HDDs arent that bad. I actually have to make myself listen to even notice.

For the performance you get the noise is minimal, especially considering the high performance machines most of us have its really no big deal in the grand scheme of things :shrug:

I'm actually a pretty light sleeper. When I was polyphasing if I heard one tiny little crunch from my computer it would wake me straight up and scare the crap out of me, and my computer's 15 feet away from my ears! I'm going to sandwich/suspend them, I'm just lazy.

It's so worth any slight noise, and at idle they're near silent so it's not like it's a constant nuisance.

The noise of the Raptor doesnt bother me, its is a very quiet drive, one of my queit ones... my Maxtor 300GB on the other hand... I want to throw it out the window... thats how loud it is.

I like the Hitachi's even more when it comes to 7200rpm drives, and they have an agreeably low noise floor (although like the Raptor, some seek noise).

Back