• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my PSU handle the load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__ThRiLLaG3__

Registered
Hi there,

I have the following setup:
Athlon 64 3700+ (venice)
Asus A8n SLI Deluxe
2 Optical Drives
2 Sata Drives
1 Gb of RAM
1 XFX 6800GS xxx edition

I am currently using the Antec True Blue 480W PSU and it works fine.
If i get myself another 6800GS will the PSU cope with the load because i dont really want to get myself another one too.

Thanks in advance.

It's hard to say. There are two revisions of the TP/TB 480, and they differ in the amount of 12V output. Aside from that, I haven't seen anyone run your proposed configuration off of either. You'll just have to give it a try.

I'm not familiar with that PSU but just look at the 12V rail and see if it is enough to run your CPU and video card. The rest barely use the 12V rail. 3700 Venice at max extreme overclock may need 110watt. Video card, the 6800GS my guess is 80 to 90 max. So you'll need about 200W on 12V rail to be safe. This means you should have at minimum 16A of clean power. Because PSU is only around 70 to 80% efficient. The amp rating you'll need should be at lease 23A if you don't have active PFC and 20A if you have active PFC.

If you have dual 12V rails, just calculate one to CPU and the other for vid.

cheers im going to find out the exact values and work it out now.

P = VI, yesss i still remember something from physics

Last edited:
Back