• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want a SLI system with out dual core bottleneck, Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syndragon

Registered
I keep hearing that even a dual core opty or x2 ov'd to 2.6 or 2.7 is going to be the bottle neck if I get to 7800 gtx's sli. I'm confused as what to do here. Any suggestions?

I dont see how the CPU is going to be the bottleneck in the system..
Is this an assumption or a verifiable fact?

My friend has an 165 Opty, OC'd, there really isn't a noticeable bottleneck, none that I've seen...

But... I mean....

You're running dual 7800gtx's, what more do you want your system to do that it doesn't? Kinda confused there...

personaly.. I would think the north bridge or many other factors "could" be a bottle neck or the fact that no card or set of cards can actually saturate the system bus (at least historicly)
and Im with FirestormZero.. asumming this is a gameing rig, not a 3d benching rig that you will be putting ln2 to.. what the heck more could you want other then a crazy fast HD or solid state storage?

Ok SO maybe I should quit listening to idiots lol.. Basicly I got 2500 to 3 grand to spend on a system. And I'm gona go apesh!t on the gfx :) HEH. What would you all recomend?
Dual 256 meg gtx sli? Or is that overkill? I suspose dual gtx 512 megs would be overkill for sure.
I wish I could find some benchmarks with oc'd dual cores and these cards in sli mode to compare fps rates and such.

depends on what you want to do with the system?
if you want a really killer gaming rig and you have the bucks to blow on it I dont see any harm in the dual gtx 512 meg cards.. actually it sounds pretty sweet to me..
but I could see were the rig would have to infuance me to start gaming, wich I currently have never really done for a very long period of time.. so that kind of extravigance might just be silly for me.. :D
^^just an example.. this very well could be the opposite of your situation, in alot of cases it is..

greenmaji said:
I dont see how the CPU is going to be the bottleneck in the system..
Is this an assumption or a verifiable fact?

by the way.. that question still stands. if someone has some facts.. I would like to check them out. :D

are you going to be playing BF2? seems 2 gigs of good ram is the trick with that one..

and I can see were power might be an issue..
two good single rale PS's might do a better job then one with dual rails..

Im not understanding the needing to OC a FX-57 to run two of these cards without a bottle neck though (and he did mention needing alot of power, wich I would understand)

no explanation of how its bottlenecked at the CPU though.. and why he thinks that the bigger memory will be more of a burdun then the 256 card, he seems to think you could run two of those, (they have the same GPU) that doesnt make any sence to me..

I am not registred at extremoverclocking.com.. so.. maybe someone here has an answer.. or a link to more then someone saying that it is (rather then a some data)

You won't see any bottleneck LOL dude, it's X2's and 7800GTX's.....you won't notice a thing. There very well may be a "bottleneck", but that's at a non-real world level, may not even notice it in benchmarks.

Plus, there's nothing your going to be able to do about it, those are THE best and fastest CPUs and GPUs out there.

well.. I would make sure I could get enough power to the rig first..
you want to OC the processor.. so the power needs are going to be higher then stock..

I would look into getting the GSkills ram.. something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021
might not be the balistics (they have had issues with dieing after a few months of healthy overclocking) or the redline (wich need MUCH tweeking to do well with 3d and thats what you want to do with this rig..)

I dont see whats wrong with getting the gtx 512 set of cards (even if there is a thoredical bottleneck, what exactly is that going to harm??) or is it a "waste of money" thing..

Im not sure were your getting the 2.6 number for maxiumum OC for the opty dual cores but sure that might be the average.. but I have seen 2.8+ and I have yet to see anyone running single stage phase direct die on one so who knows whats possible with one of these things (if you dont mind the extra 20-40 in electric bill, well thats better then running 100's of watts worth of TEC's anyway)

bla bla bla.. Im just talking now.. I would just go for it.. heck.. your HD has always been a bottlneck and you could easily spend 3K just trying to fix that.. Im sure you could find a way of building a killer rig.. :D

True.. now time to price out stuff.. lets see to 2 of those gtx 512's ... 1400 buxs sli! MWHAHA OUCH OUCH! /me whimpers. I think that would be overkill though for current games. But I'd be future proofed for sure. that'd leave me 1500 buxs for opteron cpu ram and main board power supply cr burners and cas.. Not likely to happen.
I could just get dual gtx 256 meg's or a single 512 meg gtx. And always upgrade later.
:)

i would not get any 512mb video card. they are too expensive for the tiny performance gain @ 2048 resolutions w/ 16aa/af that no one plays at.

use the money saved on 2gb of dast ram, sb xfi sound card, or a huge dell lcd.

SteveLord said:
i would not get any 512mb video card. they are too expensive for the tiny performance gain @ 2048 resolutions w/ 16aa/af that no one plays at.

use the money saved on 2gb of dast ram, sb xfi sound card, or a huge dell lcd.
Coulld 3k get me all that aka the huge *** dell lcd?

Alright, here's my 5cents....

Putting a huge investment into two video cards of equal type may not be as good as it seems. This is because if innovators make some sort of drastic new feature, your new card will pretty much make your old card useless, and more of a hinderance than a boon.

Think of getting two 6600gts only to discover one 7800gtx outperforms them.

Your best bet for optimal gaming (i hate saying this but i'll continue) is to get one graphics card, and then every 6 months or year get a new one. One card a year from now will outclass two cards today. So what you would do is build a 1.8k system, stash the leftovers in a designated account, and update when ready.

If you have the money for it, I think it beats going SLI.

FirestormZero said:
Alright, here's my 5cents....

Putting a huge investment into two video cards of equal type may not be as good as it seems. This is because if innovators make some sort of drastic new feature, your new card will pretty much make your old card useless, and more of a hinderance than a boon.

Think of getting two 6600gts only to discover one 7800gtx outperforms them.

Your best bet for optimal gaming (i hate saying this but i'll continue) is to get one graphics card, and then every 6 months or year get a new one. One card a year from now will outclass two cards today. So what you would do is build a 1.8k system, stash the leftovers in a designated account, and update when ready.

If you have the money for it, I think it beats going SLI.

I agree with that, and I'll add this:

By updating your card regularily, you'll have something of great value to sell on ebay. And in fact, keeping up with current technology isn't so terribly expensive if you don't wait too long from card generation to generation. With SLI, you end up trying to dump two "old" graphic cards at the same time probably.

The rig in my sig cost me about 2k so far. Except the raptors are from my old comp along with the water pump. I can play everything so far with high settings and it looks so awesome :p. Especially with the 21" widescreen. My 1 GTX handles the games on high at 1680x1050. Buy 1 GTX now and get another one later when you need it.

The rig in my sig costed me a mear 1.5k. Add in a DVD burner, case and my LCD and wahla not bad for the whole setup. Toss in some speakers and you'll be around the 2.7k mark of you go all out on some.

Truely you can get a very nice system for that 2.5-3k. I personally don't dig the SLI or CF idea, but then again thats just me. I'd rather spend my money on decent setup that I can play my games with and upgrade when the new stuff comes out, but then again with a monitor my size SLI or CF isn't a bad idea. Overall I think you could get all thats in my sig and then a little more with a SLI setup for under 3k.

But truely a SLI system with a dual core isn't going to bottle neck. With at least the new drivers for both card types out there they actually help improve dual core setups in games. Overall though no game truely takes advantage of the dual core yet, but there are a few that are starting to show some improvements and over time it will become more. But depending on what games you play, some will depend more on CPU and the others will depend on the GPU.

deathman20 said:
The rig in my sig costed me a mear 1.5k. Add in a DVD burner, case and my LCD and wahla not bad for the whole setup. Toss in some speakers and you'll be around the 2.7k mark of you go all out on some.

Truely you can get a very nice system for that 2.5-3k. I personally don't dig the SLI or CF idea, but then again thats just me. I'd rather spend my money on decent setup that I can play my games with and upgrade when the new stuff comes out, but then again with a monitor my size SLI or CF isn't a bad idea. Overall I think you could get all thats in my sig and then a little more with a SLI setup for under 3k.

But truely a SLI system with a dual core isn't going to bottle neck. With at least the new drivers for both card types out there they actually help improve dual core setups in games. Overall though no game truely takes advantage of the dual core yet, but there are a few that are starting to show some improvements and over time it will become more. But depending on what games you play, some will depend more on CPU and the others will depend on the GPU.
You think I'm going to need water cooling for this rig ? To hit 1.6 on the opty 170.. I mean lets face it the new opty 170's dont hit 1.65 on 1.35 volts no more.

Back