• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless adapters: pci vs usb2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

Trying to figure out what will get the best reception.

There are PCI cards that have a cord, or multiple cords, running to an antenna.

-OR-

USB 2 adapters which are attached to USB port via a cord.

Wouldn't usb be slower to move data to the PC? I might be wrong but I personally like the regular PCI wireless adapters that leave a black stick antenna out of the back. My cousin has a USB wirless nic that looks like a mini cable modem but I noticed he has to move it way out just to get signal. Where as I having PCI get signal anywhere my box is.

just my .2

for portability, the USB 2.0 for sure.

USB 2.0 interface is more than enough. Consider that USB 2.0 max transfer is 480mbps. Wireless is 54mbps (turbo mode can allow for up to 125mbps).

I have used both and can't say that one is easily better than the other. It varies on the amount of interference in between the card and the router.

with usb2 there's no real difference, might as well save a pci slot for something useful. just get the one that has better reviews.

I'd look at where the computer sits, myself.
If it's stuffed into a computer desk cubby hole where the metal case helps to block the signal, I'd go with the pci w/remote antenna. Especially if you have any distance to cover like across the house.

If the receiver is nearby, go with the USB2 one. If you have USB on the front of your case and signal blocking is a problem, put it there. But it's possible to knock it off while walking by the computer....

I like the pci/remote antenna ones myself. You can always engineer helper devices like a parabolic reflector, or even change antenna's alltogether to help boost weak signals. It just gives you more options.
With a USB one, if it's weak, you gotta go shopping again.

*New Thought! If you use a USB A male to USB A female extension cord, you can set your adapter up higher too. Never thought of that before.... :shrug:

Last edited:
so long as you don't drop your usb.. i dropped mine too many times and it died on me. lol

Back