• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's a good 120mm fan for my case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Francocomp

Registered
my case:
http://www.circotech.com/logisys-cs...ter-case-with-blue-led-lit-up-side-panel.html

It came w/a 120mm fan in the back and a 80mm fan on the side. Now i'm thinking i should get a good 120mm fan and replace the 120mm fan in the back w/it and put that 120mm fan(the one that came w/the case) in the front of the case(there's a spot in the front of the case for an optional 120mm fan). My reasoning being that i should have a good 120mm fan for pushing air out of the case since i'll have a 120mm and a 80mm fan blowing air in.

how much noise are you willing to put up with?

for low noise, the Coolermaster 120mm (42cfm, 22dba) or Nexus are good options.

For more noise, you can get into louder fans. I like the Antec 120mm at 7v, it's acceptable noise for what it can move. If you get the Tri-Cool, it comes with a small adjuster for speed levels.

The new dual ball bearing antec 120MM fans are almost silent.

I added one to the front and it makes the stock rear 120mm antec fan that came with my antec case seem loud.

Going to replace the rear one with this ball bearing one.
I picked it up for $15.

Internal said:
The new dual ball bearing antec 120MM fans are almost silent.

I added one to the front and it makes the stock rear 120mm antec fan that came with my antec case seem loud.

Going to replace the rear one with this ball bearing one.
I picked it up for $15.

What is the difference between the regular and DBB versions of the TriCool?

According to the Antec site, their specifications are identical.

I think the Regular verisons are Sleeve bearings, while the DBB ones are Double Ball Bearings. I'm not too sure on the specifics, but I tihnk the DBB ones are quieter.

darksparkz said:
I think the Regular verisons are Sleeve bearings, while the DBB ones are Double Ball Bearings. I'm not too sure on the specifics, but I tihnk the DBB ones are quieter.

They're both rated at 30 dBA though. :shrug:

There 's no such thing as JUST "DB".

They rate it at Db's vs. CFM.

This is the scale on the new DBB 120mm.
It's much more detaisl but I'll just give you a few numbers in the scale to give you an idea.

20db's = 34CFM
24db's = 41CFM
27db's = 49cfm
32db's = 60CFM

Now, we'll have to find at least one of values for the standard 1200mm fan to get an idea the difference between the two.

If we can get at least 4 values from the old stuff but if I'm not mistaken, the older 120mm antec fan just spins at one speed.

How much is tha cooler master 120mm btw?

It's crazy that there is even a difference.
I seriously can't even hear this ball bearing antec fan.
But that fan of ours is very impressive.
Good CFM vs. DB for the price if it's the same price or cheaper.

Seems like with antec you're paying for the name a bit.

I love Antec, but it's cool to see the little guys do good to.

Last edited:
Vengance_01 said:
DBB are louder than sleeve, but last much longer, but we are talking 30,000 vs 50,000 hours.

That may be true mut my sleeved fan has a mind of it's own.

Some days the bearings are loud, somedays it's pretty quite.
Sometimes it will make a wurring nosie on the first boot of the day.

The stars would have to align for this fan I have to last 50,000 hours at this point.

YMMV.

The mean time between failures is a good stat to know though when buying a new fan. THX

In my mind I find fans to be like hard drives.
One could last forever, one could bite the dust (pun intended) tomorrow. :cool:

Back