• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dimension 1100 - use it for parts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwishBish33

Registered
My uncle bought a Dimension 1100 back in November. I warned him that that model was not good for gaming, but he ignored me, and now he is asking me why he can't play certain games on it (Call of Duty 2 mainly). The integrated Intel video is to blame, so, using an old case and PSU I have, and buying a new motherboard and graphics card (to escape Dell's proprietary crap), can I:

1. Pull the Celeron 325 (Prescott) out of the Dimension and put it into a new motherboard that supports the Celeron 325?
2. Can I use the RAM, hard drive, and optical drive from the Dimension in this new system as well?

Basically, is there anything OTHER than the motherboard and the power supply that is proprietary that cannot be used in a new motherboard and case?

THANKS.

Optical, sure.
RAM, what are the specs? Even then, prolly not.
HDD, what kind is it, I use my WD out of my Dell still great HDD, just make sure it has 8mb of cache.

nothing that i know of other than the mobo and psu are proprietary. i doubt your uncle will see any increased gaming performance out of that celly though. i would just strip it for parts and get a sempron2800 and new mobo.

Yeah, I would, but money is very tight, so using as much as I can from the Dimension is probably the cheapest way. I know the Celly's aren't the greatest, but it will do well enough for him. He doesn't need top end graphics performance, just enough to run the games at 800x or 1024x. Call of Duty 2 won't even run on the integrated graphics, so anything is a step up. And the cheaper that step is, the better.

make sure you have another copy of windows or linux or..whatever you're gonna use

It wasn't a laptop, it was a Dimension 1100. Basically, the lowest Dell desktop a person can buy. But yeah, I wish he had listened to me then.

More to the point, however, is whether I can use everything but the motherboard and power supply (since the consensus seems to be that those are proprietary) and load the parts (Celeron D 325, 512mb RAM, IDE hard drive) onto a new motherboard and in a new case.

You shouldn't have problems with gaming, nothing top of the line of course, but the games will run as long as you get a decent videocard.

Back