• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux for Old System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey guys, we have an older IBM Aptiva in our basement, and I'd like to know what distro of linux would be suited to run on it.

Specs:

CPU-AMD K6-2 350mhz (edit)
Vid-ATI RagePro 2xAGP
Memory-64MB SDRAM
HDD-8GB

So what do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Last edited:
Gnufsh said:
Debian would be a good fit. Gentoo would be good as well, especially if you can find more ram for it.

Well, I was guessing a network adapter (a wireless one that actually works out of bus) would only be what I'd need, think extra RAM would really benefit, I bet it's not expensive..hmm..might be a good idea. I was thinking it would probably fold, and just be a random machine to have LOL

I've never heard of a K6-2 640mhz. Are you positive? For a server box, Gentoo goes nicely with 64MB ram. I've got a setup now with 64mb and it works just fine fileserving.

moz_21 said:
I've never heard of a K6-2 640mhz. Are you positive? For a server box, Gentoo goes nicely with 64MB ram. I've got a setup now with 64mb and it works just fine fileserving.

I may have remembered the numbers incorrectly, I'll check it again once I get the chance. I know it's a K6-2 though

The comments about a server are mainly a file server for your lan. It would work well as a squid proxy server, or a smoothwall or ipcop firewall.

There never was a 640 mhz k6-2. The highest was a 550, and very few were made. Lots of 500's.

I'd go debian. It's binary based, so no slow compiling like with gentoo. It can also be pretty lean. Damn Small Linux never works for me, but you can give it a shot. I can never get the x server to work. (DSL managed to create a working graphical environment on the livecd on 1 of 9 computers I tried...)

jajmon said:
The comments about a server are mainly a file server for your lan. It would work well as a squid proxy server, or a smoothwall or ipcop firewall.

Ditto. As for the ISP not allowing it, well neither do my current one nor my previous one. Both have done nothing about mine. And I even called the lady at the previous one to ask her to give me a free static IP. She asked why and i told her i was wanting to set up a small personal server. Her response was that it was fine and she didn't care, but if i started using too much bandwidth or got hacked she would shut me down. Thos previsions are usually there just to prevent people from getting residential service accounts and then running business/corporate servers on them. I imagine if you called and talked to one of the main people that deal with the ISP the may not care and give you clearance for it. Or you could just do it and not tell them. I did that on my current one and have been up for about 6 months without a hitch.

*************It's a K6-2 350mhz***********

SatanSkin said:
Ditto. As for the ISP not allowing it, well neither do my current one nor my previous one. Both have done nothing about mine. And I even called the lady at the previous one to ask her to give me a free static IP. She asked why and i told her i was wanting to set up a small personal server. Her response was that it was fine and she didn't care, but if i started using too much bandwidth or got hacked she would shut me down. Thos previsions are usually there just to prevent people from getting residential service accounts and then running business/corporate servers on them. I imagine if you called and talked to one of the main people that deal with the ISP the may not care and give you clearance for it. Or you could just do it and not tell them. I did that on my current one and have been up for about 6 months without a hitch.

Yeah thing is it's slow upload, 768Kbps upload, probably worse cause I have connection problems (haven't figured out why, I suspect my wireless router)

Last edited:
All right, thanks for the info Skin, I may try that, but I'm not sure if I wanna spend the dough for the stuff I'd need.

i run arch on my slower machines, it runs quite well on my p2 300mhz box even running kde 3.5, but i don't use the gui often, i mostly use it as a file server (granted, this box has 512 mb ram)

another excellent distro would be slackware, runs great on older machines and is rock solid.

Arch won't run on a k6-2. k6-2 is i586, arch is all built for i686 (that's sorta the main point of arch). The k6-2 lacks the instruction set to run it.

Why not try something a bit more unknown?
http://www.rule-project.org/

Rule is a custom installer for RH 7->9.x. It is suppose to make RH run with as little as 12mb ram and a 486.
I was about to try it on a old laptop I have(p133/16mb) but the psu died(internal). Would be fun to know if it actually works as advertised.

I'd recommend using Debian. Using Gentoo will leave you with some long compile times on a cpu that slow. Even if you use distcc, quite a few large packages (such as xorg) don't support it and would take forever to compile.

Back